Uncles comp(need help)

It's a toss up really. I'd say which ever you think is easiest to use for him. I have no experience with Vista. But just for basic stuff, I'm sure XP will do just fine.

Well will vista really do anything better. Remember I am only putting 2gb of ram in, but i guess hes not gaming or anything.

Unless your gonna use directx 10 for modern games theres absolutely no point to vista except for slowing your boot times and bringing system performance down.

But it does look pretty though :)

I really don't know if it does anything better. I do know it's "prettier". It's better at searching for files on the drive, and I hear it's supposed to be easier to navigate through the Start menu. Personally, I'd just stick with XP SP3. It does everything I need it to do and it's cheaper too.

Ok Fella's ...here's my opinion on Vista versus XP after having Vista installed for just about a week...keep in mind...I was EXTREMEMLY skeptical about switching to Vista, in fact, so skeptical, that I dual booted. Here's what I think:

Ease of Use: Vista 8, XP 7
Performance: XP 8, Vista 7
"Prettiness": Vista 10, XP 7
All in All: I'd honestly have to give them a tie..

Ok, all in all...Vista has become a hit with me. Once you get somethings disabled like UAC and get used to the new Windows Explorer layout and mapping, you'll be just fine. I'd say that "ease of use" might actually be better than someone on xp...usually you'll get a pop up box if there's more than one option (such as copying a file to a folder that has the same file..vista will ask to replace, not replace or append!) Actually, loading into Vista is actually probably 5-10 seconds faster than XP..and yes, they are both fresh installs. I think Vista is a resource hog, and would only recommend it if you have 3GB of RAM or more...otherwise I'd go XP which is still top on my list, as some older programs don't work in Vista (well, the 64bit version for me anyways)....it's a toss up for me..I just thought you'd like my opinion, but as someone mentioned, go with what your Uncle is comfortable with...

Zac

Performance:

Back
Top Bottom