Unable to load Windows with new GPU

the_ellcrys

Solid State Member
Hey all. So I bought a new GPU (EVGA GTX 750 Ti) and after I install it, when it gets to the Starting Windows screen, my computer either shuts down at that point or, more commonly, hangs there forever (after hearing some kind of "click" noise inside the case, almost like the sound of the computer shutting down). I am able to boot up to Safe Mode with it though, in which it says the graphics is something called Vgasave? Other than that, I've never been able to boot into Windows proper.

I'm running Windows 7. I don't think it's software-related, however, because I did try to run it on a fresh copy of Windows on a second hard drive and it did the same thing. At the same time I don't think it's the GPU itself because I had already bought a new GPU before this and it did the same thing. I sent that one back, however, coming to the conclusion it was a bad card. Obviously it wasn't (or I'm just very unlucky).

So I don't really know what else could be causing this. I'm not too computer tech savvy unfortunately, so let me know what other information you might need.

Things I know about my computer:

MB Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
Intel Core i5 750 2.66 GHz
PSU Corsair 750TX 750W
2GB Mem

And the GPU I'm currently using and wanting to replace is a ATI Radeon HD 5850. Thanks for anyone who can help. :)

That's what I was checking for. Now it sounds like a resolution problem. Go in safe mode and set the resolution to fit your monitor and reboot.

I'm pretty sure I tried that. But I'll try again tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm open to other ideas because I don't think I can change resolution. As I said, when I'm in safe mode, the graphics runs on something called Vgasave (I don't really know what that is), and if I remember right, I can't change things like resolution or use the full capacity (it seems) of the card. I think the highest resolution it displays in safe mode is 800x600. But like I said, I'll check again when I have time tomorrow. I just don't think that'll make a difference. Also, as I said, I tried installing a fresh copy of Windows, and the setup couldn't even complete. When Windows setup had to restart, it already couldn't boot up. I can't imagine it being a resolution issue if Windows setup can't even complete.

In that case, use the 800x600 just so you can see if it'll boot then.

Then again I'm wondering if this is an incompatibility issue. I've heard about some boards that will not accept certain video cards.

EDIT: Are you sure it doesn't have the power plug on it? According to EVGA it has a 6-pin power plug.

Last edited:
Some have 6 pin power plugs and some don't it depends on whether the card is factory overclocked etc.

I find it odd that it even has the same problem on a fresh copy of Windows 7, yet boots up in safe mode. Can you re-run the installation with the graphics card fitted?

I don't see why not. I have no idea what the problem is.

You have your old video card? Works ok with it?

Are you sure it doesn't have the power plug on it? According to EVGA it has a 6-pin power plug.

That's weird. It doesn't have a place for one at all.

You have your old video card? Works ok with it?

I'm using my old card and it works, but there's a reason I'm replacing it: the screen goes blank now and then from what I think is an overheating issue, as one of the fans seems to run kind of slow. It's extremely noisy. But it starts up and everything okay with the old card.

Can you re-run the installation with the graphics card fitted?

Well, maybe there's an issue with how I did it. Here's what I did: I had the new GPU fitted, booted up into safe mode and ran Windows setup from there and installed Windows on the secondary hard drive to make a dual boot. But I was still thinking that should be a completely fresh copy, or would setup borrow setup files from the loaded copy of Windows?

Back
Top Bottom