Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Fully Optimized
 
Zer0Cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,599
Default Unable to duel-boot after win7 install. Help!

I had just installed win7 on a second partison where my XP partision was. Before, when I would restart PC I would get a choice betwen XP or Vista, but now after Win7 install it goes streight to Win7. Plz help!
__________________

__________________
- Asus P6T Deluxe v2 - Intel i7 920 @4Ghz 1.35v- Prolimatech HS - Cosmos S Case -
- ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 PSU
- ATI 5870 - G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 1600 - Razer Barracuda™ AC-1
- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: Unable to duel-boot after win7 install. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool View Post
I had just installed win7 on a second partison where my XP partision was. Before, when I would restart PC I would get a choice betwen XP or Vista, but now after Win7 install it goes streight to Win7. Plz help!
your post is kinda confusing, are they on the same partition...? or is each on their own separate partition...? if you go into Windows 7 and there is a windows.old folder than you replaced the XP install with Win7 instead of installing a dual boot, I always install dual boot OSes on different partitions, though I don't know if you have to...
__________________

__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Unable to duel-boot after win7 install. Help!

Make sure your bootloader settings are correct. Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System.

Click on the 'Advanced' tab and in the 'Startup and Recovery' box click on 'Settings'.

Stick to the options in the 'System startup' box.

Make sure you have both your operating systems in the drop-down section.

Click on the 'Edit' button. Notepad should open up with the boot loader.

Forget multi(0) & disk(0).

What options do you have displayed here?
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
Zer0Cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,599
Default Re: Unable to duel-boot after win7 install. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
your post is kinda confusing, are they on the same partition...? or is each on their own separate partition...? if you go into Windows 7 and there is a windows.old folder than you replaced the XP install with Win7 instead of installing a dual boot, I always install dual boot OSes on different partitions, though I don't know if you have to...
Originaly I had 2 different partition's. One XP and one Vista, I had delited the XP partison and created a new one, where I installed Win7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
Make sure your bootloader settings are correct. Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System.

Click on the 'Advanced' tab and in the 'Startup and Recovery' box click on 'Settings'.

Stick to the options in the 'System startup' box.

Make sure you have both your operating systems in the drop-down section.

Click on the 'Edit' button. Notepad should open up with the boot loader.

Forget multi(0) & disk(0).

What options do you have displayed here?
You lost me in the Edit Button part... I dont see it. And I only have one OS in the drop down bar Win 7...
__________________
- Asus P6T Deluxe v2 - Intel i7 920 @4Ghz 1.35v- Prolimatech HS - Cosmos S Case -
- ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 PSU
- ATI 5870 - G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 1600 - Razer Barracuda™ AC-1
- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Unable to duel-boot after win7 install. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool View Post
You lost me in the Edit Button part... I dont see it. And I only have one OS in the drop down bar Win 7...
Thats why it boots straight into Windows 7. In the drop down bar you should have both OS's listed.

I have the Edit button in XP and there must be a way to edit the bootloader in Windows 7 so you can add the other OS install.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
Zer0Cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,599
Default Re: Unable to duel-boot after win7 install. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
Thats why it boots straight into Windows 7. In the drop down bar you should have both OS's listed.
Hmmm Well I know I did everything correct with the partition's... I delited XP and created a new one, where I installed win7... Why would there be a problem? Does anyone have any solutions to fix this?

Thanks
__________________
- Asus P6T Deluxe v2 - Intel i7 920 @4Ghz 1.35v- Prolimatech HS - Cosmos S Case -
- ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 PSU
- ATI 5870 - G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 1600 - Razer Barracuda™ AC-1
- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Unable to duel-boot after win7 install. Help!

Have a look at this...
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
Zer0Cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,599
Default Re: Unable to duel-boot after win7 install. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post

Thanks for the link. I will read it now. Looks like its a known problem.

+1 to both of u for the help

EDIT: This had fixed my problem! Very simple! cant thank you enaugh!
__________________
- Asus P6T Deluxe v2 - Intel i7 920 @4Ghz 1.35v- Prolimatech HS - Cosmos S Case -
- ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 PSU
- ATI 5870 - G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 1600 - Razer Barracuda™ AC-1
- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Unable to duel-boot after win7 install. Help!

I told you this would happen in your other Win7 thread (I think :P)

You could also have used EasyBCD to do it.
__________________

__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0