Unable to access old laptop HDD

aHumanError

Baseband Member
Hi there.

When I connect an old 2.5" laptop HDD to my Windows 10 laptop literally nothing happens.

The HDD is a Seagate 1.5GB IDE drive with Windows 98 installed on it (Works fine in the laptop), I'm trying to transfer some files from it before I reinstall.

At first I thought it may have been the IDE to USB cable but I tried a 40GB drive I had laying about an that worked fine. I'm sure it's FAT32 formatted so what gives?

EDIT: I've already tried playing around with the jumper settings.

I don't know why that isn't working for you, it should. Perhaps it might be easier to transfer the files from the drive when it is in the laptop using a USB pen drive and then use that to transfer them to your Windows 10 laptop.

Well I had the idea of firing Win98 up on VMWare thinking it may appear in that but amazingly when I plugged it in again it just worked this time, I must have tried it 20 times yesterday in different orders an everything.

Well I had the idea of firing Win98 up on VMWare thinking it may appear in that but amazingly when I plugged it in again it just worked this time, I must have tried it 20 times yesterday in different orders an everything.

Funnily enough that's how computers tend to work. Luckily having been an electronics engineer in a previous life that is the part that I like about computers. Glad it's working for you but fixing them can be a lot of fun........mostly:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom