ummm guys...help

Gateway_gtxxxxx

In Runtime
so i got this computer(not mine) and when you start it up it goes to the desktop and before you could do anything it shuts off(restart) by itself. the thing is if you start it in safe mode it starts up. then, i restored it and it worked about a week or so and the same thing happened again. what do you think the problem is because i cant figure it out anymore? could it be a virus?

Probably some type of virus judging by the fact it's fine in safe mode. If system restore didn't work, your last option is probably only to reformat. It's good to reformat once in a while anyway just to get rid of clutter on the hard drive.

i reformat every 6 months, well not really reformat, i use WDS to deploy an image i made of my laptop fresh.

but id say reformat it and be done with it.

you can reformat without actually formating it. select install in the same folder, and leave file system intact during the install.

id recommend copying the data you want saved in safe mode then doing a format though.

i reformat every 6 months, well not really reformat, i use WDS to deploy an image i made of my laptop fresh.

but id say reformat it and be done with it.

you can reformat without actually formating it. select install in the same folder, and leave file system intact during the install.

id recommend copying the data you want saved in safe mode then doing a format though.
He'll want to do a full reformat though to make sure all the viruses are gone. Back up all important data to an external source, and wipe the hard drive. Reinstall Windows, and install antivirus and antispyware programs. Before copying any of your backed up data back onto your hard drive, do a thorough scan of it with both antivirus and antispyware.

there are ways to clean up your pc but tbh when things like this happen it usually means theres tons of crap. my laptop buggered up, since i formatted its been great

but guys wouldnt that mean i need a new copy of windows xp? i only have a restore disk and thats for my personal gateway comp. not this one that im having trouble with. if i do get a windows xp disk, can i use my key or the key thats already on that comp.?

The owner should have a disk

Gateway restore disk won't work unless the pc is the exact same model as yours.

Your key won't work as it will be oem

If you do manage to secure a disk run "The Magic Jellybean Keyfinder" (Google it) before you format to retrieve the keycode from the pc.

You could only use the same key if you have the exact same version of windows, if you have XP Home on the other computer you will have to install XP Home on this one, You will not be able to use your gateway restore disk on this computer as it will only have the drivers for that computer, it will be a filtered down restore disk only compatible with you personal gateway computer.
If you install the same version of windows on this computer and input your key to activate it you will need to disable windows update as you might run the risk of Microsoft realizing there is two different computers running a windows OS of the same key and so invalidate that key then you would lose your legit version as well.

You don't by any chance get a message coming up saying "will shut down in 60 seconds", or something do you?

I'm wondering if you've contracted the ever so old Blaster worm.

If you do, and it is this, your anti-virus and firewall protection isn't doing its job correctly, and after sorting this, I would look somewhere else for it.

Back
Top Bottom