UH OH! COMPUTER WONT BOOT, not even bios

BigDaddy1

Beta member
A friend brought a computer by because when booting it would say"no operating system found." Easy fix right? No! I put in my WinXP disk and tried to get into bios to make it boot from cd. Bios wont load, just stays locked up. Ok, so I pulled the HDD put it in my computer and reformatted it. The drive works just fine in mine. Put it back in the troubled pc, still same thing. Ok, maybe cmos....jumped it and reset it even pulled the battery, swapped RAM with one I know is good, tried my backup HDD, yet still nothing. It will not boot from any thing, it acts like the keyboard is not working. I even unplugged everything i.e. - network adapters, hard/floppy/cd drives, sound card, i mean everything, yet I still cant get bios to load. The pmcflash is not in a socket so i cannot remove an replace it to see if that is the problem. Im thinking I need to reflash, but i dont know how. Can bios possibly have been erased, if so how can I restore it? I dont know what else to check. Anyone have any ideas on what to do....Its freakin' pissing me off. Its a Compac Presario 7000 30gigHDD, Pentium3, 128MB RAM . When I turn the box on it just says "compaq" with a blinking cursor in the top left.

helpin

mm ide take a hammer to the mobo i suggest you tell ur friend to get a new motherboard

Just one

His hd belongs to his mbd and OS,Which OS was he useing?
Post here first.You messed it up more probably,
Why are you and others so obsessed with the bios ?
Most things are solved other ways.
:confused:

the comp. was in this condition when I got, thats why I got. It was suppose to be a simple format issue, so I thought. But like I said I coulnt format with my disc because it wont boot the CD. It had XP on it. He complained that it was running VERY slow, so he decided to tinker with it. He brought me a floppy he said he used and it looks like it is a flash. That is why I am addressing my problem to BIOS or CMOS because I believe he tried to do something and F***ked it up and is too embarrassed to tell me what he really did. So here I am with my ear open looking for further advice.
Basically, anything you say, I probably already did it before I started this thread, or I wouldnt be here. I even made a ROMPaq floppy, but it just hangs.

About the only thing left that I havnt tried is to flash and restore BIOS. (that I know of) But HP doesnt make it easy to find the right flash tool (nor does Google)

BigDaddy said:
the comp. was in this condition when I got, thats why I got. It was suppose to be a simple format issue, so I thought. But like I said I coulnt format with my disc because it wont boot the CD. It had XP on it. He complained that it was running VERY slow, so he decided to tinker with it. He brought me a floppy he said he used and it looks like it is a flash. That is why I am addressing my problem to BIOS or CMOS because I believe he tried to do something and F***ked it up and is too embarrassed to tell me what he really did. So here I am with my ear open looking for further advice.
Basically, anything you say, I probably already did it before I started this thread, or I wouldnt be here. I even made a ROMPaq floppy, but it just hangs.

About the only thing left that I havnt tried is to flash and restore BIOS. (that I know of) But HP doesnt make it easy to find the right flash tool (nor does Google)
You should have worked on "running very slow"first,after all it was running.
So why worry about the bios ? This is a General maintanance of your computer problem.Like useing Scandisk,Defrag,removeing junk files etc.
If you can still boot to Windows.let me know.
:rolleyes:
PLZ forget the BIOS PLZ.

bluto said:
You should have worked on "running very slow"first,after all it was running.
So why worry about the bios ? This is a General maintanance of your computer problem.Like useing Scandisk,Defrag,removeing junk files etc.
If you can still boot to Windows.let me know.
:rolleyes:
PLZ forget the BIOS PLZ.

NO NO, youve misundrstood. I didnt do this, he did this is the condition I got it in. Ive done what I know to resore the drive, but that wasnt the problem. I never could get the thing to boot at all, nor could I get into BIOS.

what would prevent you from getting into bios.

I even tried a different keyboard and no its not a USB. Also i disconnected all unessential devices to make sure another component wasnt causing the problem. The only thing i cant take out is the AGP video card. I even disconnected ALL drives...should it not still go into bios or am I wrong. Point being I have eliminated everything except the motherboard because I did replace everything with parts that I knew were good

Window included

It appears you both bought PC's with XP installed and are new at this.
It's difficult to add any more as i prefer a custom W millenium PC.
Just 1 though,if you didn't get an XP manual,get XP for Ideots.
No offence intended,they cost less.
So its over to the XPers.
:D

Back
Top Bottom