UEFI question

I hate this UEFI shit... Had a board here recently where it's own RAID controller didn't want to work in RAID properly under Win7 while the board is in UEFI mode, yet when in Legacy Mode, you can't use the RAID array at all. Gotta love buggy early implementations of hardware.

What I really love is these server grade boards coming out with UEFI, nothing but compatibility issues with older PCIe controllers for me.

UEFI does implement a bit more than a graphical interface chaps. For example, the Windows 8 product key on a OEM machine (e.g. HP) is linked into the BIOS, which I'm not aware any previous generation BIOS could do.

Hi there!

If the hardware on the motherboard can support your intended components to install, you should be good. Some parts don't support older motherboards though, so take a small bit of research into it before ordering parts. I recently had to use a Dell Vostro 200 Slim and put some fairly new parts into it and it's working considerably well.

What may also help is if you check the motherboard's model number. Most Dell motherboards are made by Foxconn, so check the number (it should be near the CPU) and check it's specs on the internet.

In a nutshell, pick your parts carefully, because you don't know whether they'll be unsupported with an older motherboard.

-Calvin

I really don't like the UEFI. It has cause more grief than good for me at my job as a computer tech. You can run Windows 7 on motherboards with UEFI, but you must change it over to legacy mode and disable secure boot. Not all motherboards support doing this and rather than going into legacy mode they just glitch out. If it doesn't support legacy mode (or doesn't want to work) then you have to use Windows 8 or above.

The best thing about UEFI (paired with an SSD) is the boot times. A brand new laptop we setup for a customer with an i7 and a high performance SSD took 4 seconds from pressing the power button to booting to the desktop. I just put an SSD in my grandma's laptop with an i3 and it boots in 7 seconds. My gaming laptop with an i7, SSD, and Windows 7 boots in 15 seconds on legacy BIOS. That in itself is not bad but 4 seconds is just an outstanding boot time.

I fon't much like UEFI either...

(but that's because my new tablet machine, 64 bit atom was shipped with a 32 bit UEFI implementation, windows 8.1 pre-installed, running in 32 bit mode, an whilst you can get 32bit Linux boot efi boots, all distros seemingly don't bother to ship them. - which is making dual booting, (or triple booting as it'll end up) a stupidly hard nightmare of a task!

it doesn't add fancy graphics in all cases.
what it does do (in some cases) is make it pretty, (but then I had an old compaq 20 years ago where you could use a mouse in a BIOS)
it can enable secure boot (meaning code has to be signed to work - stopping viruses writing to the boot sectors to load before windows does making them all but impossible to remove.
it can address very large disks, (which old BIOS's couldn't)...

it shouldn't stop you doing anything...
but as above, it might if you're unlucky.

Uefi bios were quite available with most Windows 7 pcs towards the end so Win 7 can certainly work with Uefi. Many of the functions that are specifically for Windows 8 and up just shut down is all i.e. "secure boot" and so on.
Personally I loathe Uefi because it was supposed to make the systems less permeable to Malware and it doesn't do that at all. But what it does do is tie your hands on computers that won't boot because all the triggers are in Windows to aid with startup and not below it.

Back
Top Bottom