Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Exclamation Ubuntu and Windows

Okay, I have two questions about Ubuntu.

First off, I decided to install Ubuntu and have a dual boot, because apparently it's god for an "emergency OS" or some such shit... but I think I installed the partitions wrong.

See, my Mentor set up the PC with like 10 partitions, I have two hard drives, and one of them had another Windows XP.

But when I installed Ubuntu, it got rid of all of my spare partitions! Now, I'm not devastated over losing my other XP - it had viruses anyway - but I wanted that extra disk space for big programs like Borland Delphi, Netbeans, Photoshop, Autocad - etc.

Basically, I want to get Ubuntu to just enough disk space for the OS and maybe 512MB to a Gigabyte of space leftover.

The odd thing is, I KNOW i had way more space before - i had ALOT. But I can only see like 35GB - and just ONE partition I remember had about the same - this is the GROSS TOTAL! I'm not positive, but I think the Linux is invisible to Windows...

WHAT MY MAIN QUESTION IS: How do I take space from Linux and give it to Windows, is there any certain procedure to do (like reformatting), and what programs can I use to do it?

The second question, I wiped that god damn dell clean (some Boot n' Nuke thingy) and I tried to put linux on.

The install is slower than Windows 95 with crappy hardware.

So... Any help on either of these two things is greatly appreciated!

avgjoe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
Send a message via MSN to Š88
Default Re: Ubuntu and Windows

I would use SystemRescue to resize the partitions. Download it HERE, burn the ISO to a cd, boot from the cd then when you get to the command prompt type "run_qtparted" to run the graphical partition tool. From what i can remember it's pretty straight forward to use once you're in.

And btw, windows doesn't see the linux partition like you thought.
Killing under the cloak of war is no different than murder

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote