Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-28-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Ubuntu Any Good?

Well is it? I know near nothing about it and I wanted to see what all of you thought about it. Their website will send you free discs in the mail so I figured it was worth a go, but if its totally not worth trying then ill wont even bother.

Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default Re: Ubuntu Any Good?

it is okay, I'm about to install debian in a week or so. I would get debian- it is the parent of ubuntu, and more powerful. Only problem is the install is a bit weird.

EDIT: you can get free (sans shipping +cost of cds) cds for almost any distro of linux.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Illmatic

I've used it once to run a server and I like it a lot. It has 4 easy-to-use shells, it comes with programs, it has an easy terminal, and best of all it is fast. The forum on their site [ http://ubuntuforums.org/ ] is very helpful if you ever are stuck.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
In Runtime

yea, I dont really know what I am getting as they are sending me free discs, so whatever get I get. I saw a video on Ubuntu and it showed something like a revolviing desktop where you could switch between desktops, its hard to explain, but is that how all Ubuntu is like or is that something else.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
Golden Master

I just finished downloading a copy of Ubuntu, but it's just sitting on my desktop . Haven't imaged it to a CD yet. I'm hoping it will fit because it looks pretty close to the max size of my CD.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Steemax Send a message via MSN to Steemax Send a message via Yahoo to Steemax

I'm downloading it as we speak.. yeah its gonna fit PERFECTLy on my cd .. not a MB to spare I hope it lives up to what the people on the forums say =P
Old 11-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #7
In Runtime

Well after you guys try it either reply back her or PM me and tell me what you think, if you do, Thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Logan Send a message via MSN to Logan

i've tried it. it's like a linux for windows users. debian is more powerful but that also means more tech friendly than layman friendly. you should detail what you will be using your computer for and then find the linux that matches. there are tons of good linuxes that are focused towards specific uses.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:47 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Steemax Send a message via MSN to Steemax Send a message via Yahoo to Steemax

well i burned it to a bootable disk.. i booted it up and everything and it started up in ubuntu.. and i clicked install on the ubuntu desktop and everything froze tried a couple times and im clueless.. i really want to install this.. it looks like its not reading the disk and its freezing....