Two Window Hard Drives?

Liminator

In Runtime
OK, basically one of my computers is on the edge of kinking out. I think its either a PSU or motherboard problem. Anyway, when the computer actually stops working, should I be able to simply switch the hard drive to slave mode and plug it into my brothers computer without a problem, or will the two sets of WINDOWs files conflict? Also will I be able to access my files ok?

No, the two drives will not conflict, the pc will always boot from the primary hard drive. You shouldn't have a problem accessing the files either. Just switch the jumper to "slave" and plug it in to the second connector on the ide cable that is connected to the primary hard drive and you will be good. You might have to switch the jumper on the primary hard drive because sometimes they are set to "cable select" I've seen that before. Just switch it to primary, and set the second as slave and you'll be good.

No, the two drives will not conflict, the pc will always boot from the primary hard drive. You shouldn't have a problem accessing the files either. Just switch the jumper to "slave" and plug it in to the second connector on the ide cable that is connected to the primary hard drive and you will be good. You might have to switch the jumper on the primary hard drive because sometimes they are set to "cable select" I've seen that before. Just switch it to primary, and set the second as slave and you'll be good.

also, to make it more easily accessible, make sure your windows login is not password protected, if it is, it won't let you access the drive from another system once plugged in as a slave...

also, to make it more easily accessible, make sure your windows login is not password protected, if it is, it won't let you access the drive from another system once plugged in as a slave...
Ahh, forgot about that....make sure you do that before the pc dies or you'll be SOL. But I'm sure there are ways you can crack it...*cough cough*

Ahh, forgot about that....make sure you do that before the pc dies or you'll be SOL. But I'm sure there are ways you can crack it...*cough cough*

what can be done is to boot up in safe mode and take "possession" of the folders that need to be accessed from the folder's security tab, but that is a hassle compared to just removing the password...

You'll be able to access the files on your HD.

Just don't try and boot from the Windows on your drive cause it won't work.

So boot from the Windows that's on your bro's HD and freely access the info on your HD.

I don't even think it matters if you password protect the windows on your HD because your not booting using the Windows on your HD.

Back
Top Bottom