Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Two Window Hard Drives?

OK, basically one of my computers is on the edge of kinking out. I think its either a PSU or motherboard problem. Anyway, when the computer actually stops working, should I be able to simply switch the hard drive to slave mode and plug it into my brothers computer without a problem, or will the two sets of WINDOWs files conflict? Also will I be able to access my files ok?

Liminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Two Window Hard Drives?

No, the two drives will not conflict, the pc will always boot from the primary hard drive. You shouldn't have a problem accessing the files either. Just switch the jumper to "slave" and plug it in to the second connector on the ide cable that is connected to the primary hard drive and you will be good. You might have to switch the jumper on the primary hard drive because sometimes they are set to "cable select" I've seen that before. Just switch it to primary, and set the second as slave and you'll be good.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
No, the two drives will not conflict, the pc will always boot from the primary hard drive. You shouldn't have a problem accessing the files either. Just switch the jumper to "slave" and plug it in to the second connector on the ide cable that is connected to the primary hard drive and you will be good. You might have to switch the jumper on the primary hard drive because sometimes they are set to "cable select" I've seen that before. Just switch it to primary, and set the second as slave and you'll be good.
also, to make it more easily accessible, make sure your windows login is not password protected, if it is, it won't let you access the drive from another system once plugged in as a slave...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
also, to make it more easily accessible, make sure your windows login is not password protected, if it is, it won't let you access the drive from another system once plugged in as a slave...
Ahh, forgot about that....make sure you do that before the pc dies or you'll be SOL. But I'm sure there are ways you can crack it...*cough cough*

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Ahh, forgot about that....make sure you do that before the pc dies or you'll be SOL. But I'm sure there are ways you can crack it...*cough cough*
what can be done is to boot up in safe mode and take "possession" of the folders that need to be accessed from the folder's security tab, but that is a hassle compared to just removing the password...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

You'll be able to access the files on your HD.

Just don't try and boot from the Windows on your drive cause it won't work.

So boot from the Windows that's on your bro's HD and freely access the info on your HD.

I don't even think it matters if you password protect the windows on your HD because your not booting using the Windows on your HD.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
In Runtime

Alright thanks everybody, especially about the password. I probably would've been screwed.

Liminator is offline   Reply With Quote