Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default two power supplies

hey... i just bought an evga geforce 6600gt video card... it worked just fine, i was even playing oblivion on it... After finishing oblivion, i went on the internet for a little while... All of a sudden, my monitor went all black... when i hard reset my pc, all that was showing up was a whole bunch of white blinking squares... so i called customer support and described my problem to them... they thought it might be a defective card, so i took it back... while i was making the exchange in the store, i started talking to a guy there; he told me it was a power supply issue... in fact, i had noticed that my pc wasn't registering my slave harddrive several times, but i didn't think much of it... So i went home and checked on my power supply... it surprised me to see that it wasn't a 400 watt like i thought, but it was a 200 watt... there's the problem... but i also have some spare power supplies sitting around trhe house (with lower wattage, of course). i wanna know how to hook one of them up to just my video card so i don't short it out again... in short, i wanna know how to use dual power supplies... and remember... i have a very low budget...

reggietheporpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to MarxSoccer Send a message via AIM to MarxSoccer Send a message via MSN to MarxSoccer Send a message via Yahoo to MarxSoccer
Default Re: two power supplies

Well, you could just plug it in.. Sit it on top of your case, plug it into the wall, power strip, or whatever you use, and plus it into the video card

MarxSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarxSoccer
Well, you could just plug it in.. Sit it on top of your case, plug it into the wall, power strip, or whatever you use, and plus it into the video card

problem with that... it needs to have some sort of switch to tell it when to come on... otherwise, everything except my video card will be powered... that's why it needs to be plugged into the motherboard... i need a way to override that so i can get the power supply to turn on when the rest of my computer turns on... thanks, though...
Old 04-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to MarxSoccer Send a message via AIM to MarxSoccer Send a message via MSN to MarxSoccer Send a message via Yahoo to MarxSoccer

Eee, didn't think about that =[
MarxSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to joxley1990 Send a message via MSN to joxley1990

Get a new PSU, a nice 550-600Watt one.
joxley1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
In Runtime

His budget is very low.... /: i was gonna suggest that too, see if someone here has a spare one!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
Solid State Member

thanks, but i found a really cheap solution... kinda like this
but instead of using the expensive wire and male pins, i used (you guessed it) a simple paper clip. so, guys, if you have the same idea as me, don't go wasting lots of money on wires or a new power supply, just use your buddy the paper clip... luckily mine was coated in plastic, so that acted like an insulator... i guess that electrical tape will work just fine if your paper clip is not insulated... my extra power supply also had an on/off switch built in, so unless you make your own or if your power supply does not have one built in, look forward to the newer power supply staying on (unless you pull out the plug or pull out the paper clip or wire). so, uhh... that's about it... any questions, email me or something...
Old 04-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to joxley1990 Send a message via MSN to joxley1990

Looks well messy though..
joxley1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to joe pic Send a message via MSN to joe pic Send a message via Yahoo to joe pic

dude go to Newegg, www.newegg.com. You can find a great PSU for a real cheap price. $40-60 would get you a good one.
joe pic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Child Send a message via MSN to Voodoo Child Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo Child

no dont get a new one. just do that little thing. it is simple.

infact what i would do. would accualy take those two wires and cut them and then strip em. that would be more reliable than using a wire and two clips. strip the wires and cross em when u need power, or i would hook them up to a switch.

that would look "mickey mouse". if u want to look professional just get a new one

or...he he he...this is my specialty, 1 12v transformer and another 5v or above transformer) you could use this pinout http://pinouts.ru/data/BigPower_pinout.shtml and a molex connector from somewhere to make your own power molex connector. yet, idk, cuz this would only turn off when u unplug the transformers. so idk.

and if you have a 5v transformer, great. if you have something above 5v and below 35 volts pick up one of these and regulate the voltage to 5.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote