Two Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Processors in on comp?

Pyrox920

Baseband Member
I was looking at the spec on my friends computer (3 years old), and after running Dxdiag, it came up saying he had two Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Processors. I thought that was wierd, but I guess if they can SLI graphics cards, then they can use two processors in one comp too.

My question is wouldn't that make a total of 6.0 Ghz? Which is not bad at all... more then my new e6750 (without overclock) that cost 200$. Why then would I have never heard about anyone using two processors, rather then a standard duel-core? Are the motherboards that can hold two processors too expensive? Thats the only reason I could think of that would keep people from considering having two pentium d's instead of an e6---

You cannot run Dual P4s. The electrical concept wasn't made for it. If you manage to get two CPUs, you'll have some sort of fire and severe damage.

Second, you cannot add 2 CPU cores to equal one. Both will process one thread at the speed. It's 3GHz, but it's going to be 3GHz x2, since they can do two threads at once.

I was looking at the spec on my friends computer (3 years old), and after running Dxdiag, it came up saying he had two Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Processors. I thought that was wierd, but I guess if they can SLI graphics cards, then they can use two processors in one comp too.

My question is wouldn't that make a total of 6.0 Ghz? Which is not bad at all... more then my new e6750 (without overclock) that cost 200$. Why then would I have never heard about anyone using two processors, rather then a standard duel-core? Are the motherboards that can hold two processors too expensive? Thats the only reason I could think of that would keep people from considering having two pentium d's instead of an e6---

You have hyperthreading, makes the OS think their's two CPU's.

No motherboard that is available in the retail market supports two Pentium 4's.

Oh Hyperthrading. Yeah, the computer sees it as two physical processors, but it's still one. It's just a feature that allows the CPU to do dual threading.

Oh, I see. I had never payed any attention to what hyperthreading really was. Thanks for helping!

-lock please-

Back
Top Bottom