Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Question two old pcs.... help

one of my old PCs died.... but i think the HDD is still intact! Could I just stick that HDD into my second PC (assuming it's compatible with motherboard), and load up the operating system on that HDD and everything through that second computer?

Dogged_Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
The Candyman

Default Re: two old pcs.... help

it depends on the computer the hhd was installed on, for example if you had a Gateway pc and installed windows on the hhd, if you took the hhd and put it into another Gateway pc, it would probably boot ok. just make sure you set the jumpers on the back of the hhd as master, and the other hhd as slave. i have done that before..but

if the hhd does not boot windows, then just make the hhd a slave drive in your computer by moving over the jumper in the back of the hhd. remeber that the OS (operating system )that you want to be default, must be set as a master drive, and the spare hhd is set to slave.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Noxious020189

Any HD is compatiable with any Motherboard assuming your not talking about SATA I, or II. Anyways alls you have to do is uninstall the drivers, and just to be sure I would hook it up drag and drop from one HD to another, and then format the secondary drive then hook the master HD up and then boot of that and just partition the Slave drive and drage and drop the information back on the Slave, and you'll have one clean storage drive. I actualy have done this many times. For a note MAKE SURE YOU PARTITION YOUR SLAVE DRIVE or else it will not show up as anything in your "My Computer" if running windows assuming you are due to it sounds like you don't know much about computers (which isn't bad we all have to start somewhere). Just make sure you format to get the old OS off the HD and all the drivers so they do not conflict with any other drivers that you have on your new PC
Noxious020189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to mfrostbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxious020189
Any HD is compatiable with any Motherboard assuming your not talking about SATA I, or II.
Do not be fooled by this statement is not true at all, it may work if the two computers share the same chipset (Intel, Nvidia, ect...) If they are two different chipsets you will not be able to boot into Windows at all to uninstall the drivers, it may be possible to do in safe mode, all you can do is try. If it wont boot, simply slave the drive to your working system and pull all your data off, go to disk management console and format it and you've got a storage drive!
mfrostbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
Baseband Member

Thumbs up Re: two old pcs.... help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrostbutter
Do not be fooled by this statement is not true at all, it may work if the two computers share the same chipset (Intel, Nvidia, ect...) If they are two different chipsets you will not be able to boot into Windows at all to uninstall the drivers, it may be possible to do in safe mode, all you can do is try. If it wont boot, simply slave the drive to your working system and pull all your data off, go to disk management console and format it and you've got a storage drive!
ok thx.... how do you "slave the drive? Can all HDDs be a slave?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
Golden Master

Any HDD is copatible with any motherboards. Windows 95,98,ME can be taken out and into another board. Windows NT, 2000, XP won't/

All HDDs can be slave. Set the jumper where you connect it and set it as slave or Cable Select. It should be working.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
The Candyman

all hhd's can be slave, but no two hhd's can be master..it won't load windows
Old 09-25-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
Baseband Member

oh ok.... thx

Current PC:
Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz, 1.25MB RAM, Radeon X1300 PRO 256MB, Samsung 22 in. LCD Monitor, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE, Boston Digital Speakers, Comcast High-Speed Internet, D-Link Wired Router DI-604, Microsoft Sidewinder: Force Feedback 2,
Old 09-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogged_Puppy
ok thx.... how do you "slave the drive?
?

Current PC:
Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz, 1.25MB RAM, Radeon X1300 PRO 256MB, Samsung 22 in. LCD Monitor, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE, Boston Digital Speakers, Comcast High-Speed Internet, D-Link Wired Router DI-604, Microsoft Sidewinder: Force Feedback 2,
Old 09-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #10
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Noxious020189

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrostbutter
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT...Chipset has nothing to do with HD's...

The way how you slave a drive is look at the picture on the HD and it should say what to set your jumper to, and then bam It's a slave. Make sure you hook it to the slave part of the IDE to

Noxious020189 is offline   Reply With Quote