Two fairly N00B questions (or maybe not, I dont know...)

Lord Collettus

Beta member
Hello,

This morning two sets of two 1GB RAMs arrived that I had ordered. I tried putting them in the respective PCs and they did turn on but sent no signal to the monitor.

The RAM is this one -http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-072-OC

The PCs are

A fairly old Dell with two slots for RAM (256 RAM)

and a refurbished E Machines with 4 slots for it. (512 RAM = 2 x 256 RAM)

I have a friend who has fixed these PCs for me in the past who said that it will go in there and they do "sort of" fit. But as I said the computers turn on but send no signal to the screen.

If you need more info please ask and I will do my best to find out for you.

Thank you very much in advance,

Lord Collettus

Lord Collettus

Make sure you aren't accidentally mixing and matching DDR and DDR2 DIMMs (sticks) - and make sure they are all clocked the same (400 or 533 or 800, whatever).

Give us some model numbers, and we'll look up what kind of RAM memory they originally ship with and what they support, and how much they support. With that, we can help you deal with your situation and hopefully get the problem solved and everything up and running.

Good luck, Lord Collettus!

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

the ones in the PC are DDR and not DDR2. it says 400Mhz on the RAM thing whereas 800Mhz on the new ones. I take it from the difference between numbers that these will not work???

The model numbers for the E Macine is 5260 and the Dell is unknown and there are all sorts of numbers and codes on the side so i am not sure which one it is.

Thanks

Aye, thanks anyway, I will just try to send them back and buy the right ones. At least some good has come out of it, I now know that little bit more about PCs...

Have fun,

Lord Collettus

Aye, thanks anyway, I will just try to send them back and buy the right ones. At least some good has come out of it, I now know that little bit more about PCs...

Have fun,

Lord Collettus

don't you just love learning :p. Well good luck with the ram :)

Back
Top Bottom