Two Dual Core Intels or One Quad Core?

I'd guet the quad or maybe even dual Quad. Windows Server 2003 will support up to 8CPUs, if you get what I mean.

XP alone can use 200 CPUs. so Vista should be able to handle any sum of processors, the quad core would be sweet to have though. :)

ummm, XP will only see one package...it won't support dual or more socket motherboards.

esa193 said:
no if your useing 2 cpus in to cpu slots that would create a lot of bodel neacking
the intel core 2 quad is to intel core2duo chips yes but there so close and on the same chip that there basicly is no bodelnecking problem but
if your have to cpu on to diff slots
the bodel necking goes way up
this is offcourse if your using this as one pc like playing games ect...
but if your running a server is makes no difference becouse the data does not have to be split up like if you were playing a multicore application. a server would just put on job in each core

Wow way to go "bodelnecking"

Very few games use more than one core, and those that do will only use two. The difference between 2X Core 2 Duo's and 1X Core Quad will be extremely minimal.

EDIT: Ownage, XP will support multiple processors as my friend runs XP PRO on his Dual PIII rig

really? I stand corrected. Anyway, Core Quad the 2 Core 2 Duos, there will be a difference, you forgot to account for the latency added in from the FSB connecting the two processors and the extra trace length that also adds latency.

Back
Top Bottom