tv tuner requirements question

maanico1

In Runtime
im planning on buying a usb tv tuner for my laptop, i have a vaio k-23 series... im just trying to make sure that i fit the requirements (the reqs are all pretty low) but im not quite sure whether or not these are uncommon requirements:

Sound Card : Up to 16bits
VGA Card : 16MB with SVGA resolution

do non-media pcs have a vga card (or is vga the graphics card?) and how do i know my sound card bits?

how do i know if i have a line-in jack on my computer? (sorry for all the stupid questions)

wait some of these usb ones are peices of crap, i would go with pci that is what i have and it is great

For a labtop, you have to go usb. Pci is just Peripheral Component Interconnect) The most common I/O bus in use today. It provides a shared data path between the CPU and peripheral controllers in all kinds of computers from laptops to mainframes. Designed by Intel, Compaq and Digital, it first appeared in PCs in 1993 and co-existed with the ISA bus for many years. Today, most PCs have only PCI slots and one AGP slot for a display adapter. PCI runs at 33MHz or 66MHz and supports 32 and 64-bit data paths and bus mastering. There are generally three or four slots on the motherboard, and the quantity is based on 10 electrical loads that deal with inductance and capacitance. The PCI chipset uses three, leaving seven for peripheral controllers. A controller on the motherboard uses one load; a plug-in card uses 1.5 loads. A "PCI bridge" connects PCI buses together for more slots.

You don't have to worry about this, because you have a labtop. Unless you have a seperate place (sound card) for sound, you most definitely have line-in sound.

Vga is (Video Graphics Array) The display standard for the PC. VGA uses an analog monitor, and PC display adapters output analog signals. All CRTs and most flat panel monitors accept VGA signals, although flat panels may also have a DVI interface for display adapters that output digital signals.

Although VGA may refer to the PC's display system in general, "VGA resolution" typically refers to the original resolution of 640x480 pixels and 16 colors. This base resolution is not widely used except for tiny monitors or booting up the computer in Safe Mode.

No, again, pci will NOT work with a labtop. You should have a seperate vga output on your labtop, but I'm not too sure. vga and sound card's aren't really related. Non-media pc's usally don't. It's either integrated or a ati or nvidia chip. Medium to high end pc's almost always have a seperate vga card. As long as you have a good amount of ram (256mb is the minimum, but 512mb and higher is better because you don't get choppines). Hope this helps! If it does, please click on the that wireless signal near my name and add to my reputation. Thanks!

That sould work just fine. As long as you have usb 2.0, which I'm pretty sure that you do with that nice labtop, you shouldn't have any problems. I have a tuner for my pc, and, as a word of advice, don't expect the tuner to be picture perfect and all. Sound is sometimes a wee bit off. Picture quality might not be the best, but, hey, it's still t.v. on your comp. It works nicely. Good luck with everything!

Back
Top Bottom