Tv Tuner Picture Sucks

KillaQBoy

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I just bought a tv tuner.. WinTV GoPlus! from Hauppauge.. And i plugged the cable into the coaxial.. and the tv looks liek garbage on my monitor.. i don't think it has anything to do with my monitor.. I have a LG 20.1" Widescreen LCD Monitor (L204WT).. Can someone please explain why the quality of the tv stations are so scrambled..
It's a really, really bad picture..

And what are my alternatives.. I'm trying to be able to watch tv on my computer monitor.. as well as hook up my playstation to it.. I need help immediately.. someone please help..

you do not have a good signal going into your tuner, actual TVs have a much higher quality tuner therefore you need less signal strenght for a decent picture but with the TV Tuners for computers they are not as high quality...what you can do is find the initial cable line going into your house and put a nice drop amp in there, like 8-10dB should be fine...depending on how many TVs are on your cable line...get back to me with that info...and ill help you more

PS each cable slitter in your house has atleast 3.5dB Loss which equates to

3dB = 1/2 the initial power
and the .5 is the insertion loss of the cable...

Oh.. okay.. well.. I do have my cable split.. for my internet.. and then the other for my tv.. that must be why the quality is terrible?

If the quality of the tuner in real tvs are so good.. isn't there a tv-tuner card i can buy that has the same quality or something like that? Because even with the cable split between my internet and tv.. the picture still looks fine on my television.. it's just on my computer monitor it looks like crap..

and what is a drop amp?

nope, its because tv equals 640x480 pixels, while a computer display goes much higher such as 1280x1024, so when it stretches the picture, its terrible

borat_sagdiyev said:
nope, its because tv equals 640x480 pixels, while a computer display goes much higher such as 1280x1024, so when it stretches the picture, its terrible

dont watch full screen and the picture is still horrible...I know...I have one and then I put the AMP in and its great

Okay.. What if i use a convertor from coaxial to rca and hook up my playstation.. will the playstation picture look as terrible as the cable television on my computer monitor?

Or will the picture be way sharper because it's not picking up a cable signal?

hey.. i finally got a chance to hook up the ps2 to it.. picture looks just as terrible.. looks like i gotta grab an lcd tv instead.. thanks for the tips..

the tuner in the comp probably isnt very good...and that could affect the RF transistion for the ps2 as well...

Back
Top Bottom