TV tuner cards

I'm looking for a card that I can hook up to my dish network reciever so I can pull satallite TV on my computer and record tv shows and later burn to dvd. I would also like to have a remote control if I decide to watch something on my lcd. I searched through a bunch of these on newegg but its a bit confusing. Can I get a tuner that after burnt to dvd will play in a normal dvd player and not just on my computer? Is there anyway I can get it both on my computer and my tv at the same time? Also curious what OS I'll need I've seen some that say media center edition but do not have xp home or pro listed. I'm using home xp currently however plan on upgrading to vista media when it comes out.

The best card which you purchase for doing what you want in my opinion is the Hauppage PVR 150, there is also a dual tuner option in the 500 version, but remember if you want to record one satellite channel, and watch another, you will also need two receivers.

In the UK, you can also get them with freeview tuners, which means you can watch the digital channels.

You don't need MCE but I found it makes the process a lot smoother but you will need PVR software to get the best out of it. Hauppage provides good software, for this though.

In regards to burning straight to DVD, as far as I am aware very few will record in a DVD format, you will need to convert it to the appropriate format, most record in mpeg format.

I've got a really cheap Hauppage card, and I've recorded and burnt to a DVD without altering the format, and it pays fine on the DVD player. Aren't most DVD players capable of playing MPEG?

The Sheep said:
I've got a really cheap Hauppage card, and I've recorded and burnt to a DVD without altering the format, and it pays fine on the DVD player. Aren't most DVD players capable of playing MPEG?

I was thinking of having to convert it to VOB format, which is the standard DVD format, and yes I stand corrected on that point, the majority of DVD players will play mpeg format, but if I remember correctly it makes it very difficult to set chapters etc, for skipping through etc, of course it depends on what you are converting and its uses

I'll mainly be using it to record movies off HBO and Starz and some TV series. It says on it that it supports 125 channels. Does this mean I would just program the 125 channels that I want to come in on it? Or is it just like viewing on my tv with tv guide etc and just channel flip? Thanks for the input i'll probally end up getting this card as recommended.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116625

well actually its different than you think. i think what you want to do is run the tv signal from your sattelite reciever to you capture card. to the capture card, this will all be one channel. so what you gotta do, is change the channel you wanna use with the remote to the reciever.

Okay so say I hook up the little antenna to the TV tuner you recommended. I would go on some type of included software were whatever channel is on would pop up in a window on my computer? Then using the remote controller I would just flip channels and if I wanted 2 record something just click record similar to my DVR?

Back
Top Bottom