tv tuner

You don't really need Windows Media Center Edition to use a TV Tuner Card. I'm using (or was) using Windows XP Pro. The reason why it states that it needs Media Center OS is because of it's native support for media decoders. If you have XP Pro with SP2, you're as good as gold. Works great. Yes, it has built-in hardware MPEG-2 encoder on the tuner itself so it doesn't rely on main system resources too much.

It looks like a great card, but no remote. But that's ok though. We're like next to the PC anyways when we watch TV :p.

actually there is wireless tv all you need is a connection to the internet and you can watch tv in your house or anywhere in the world through your computer

Sling Box

but my question is if the card comes with software that lets me watch tv, becuase without the software how would i watch it. something like the powercinema by cyberlink, does hauppauge include it

Media Center could probably play it back with their version of Media Player. You would think it comes with software. It's tough to say. Hauppauage provides a decoder free for download from their support site. If for some reason that doesn't work or you don't like it, at least 2 other free ones (Intervideo, Cyberlink) that are available as well. I like InterVideo a lot. PowerDVD is another good one.

Oh, it DOES NOT come with a decoder to view contents. I just looked it up. You need a third party software as I mentioned above to work.

Yes, those will work beautifully. At least they make the software available on their website. That's good news. It's a really nice tuner by the way. I wish I had that one right now. The more I read about it, the more I like it.

TRDCorolla said:
Yes, those will work beautifully. At least they make the software available on their website. That's good news. It's a really nice tuner by the way. I wish I had that one right now. The more I read about it, the more I like it.
Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about it. It'll probably be the one I get for my new build if I end up getting one.

Back
Top Bottom