Turns on, but dosen't boot?

ihavenoname1

Beta member
So, I recently bought all the parts to build my new computer, mainly for gaming.

The specs (the revelant ones):
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
BFG Nvidia GeForce 6800GT PCI-E
500W power supply
Corsair XMS 2x512MB RAM
19 inch LCD Viewsonic, using DVI

So, after it was built, I attempted to turn it on. Everything starts up, the fans, lights, etc, however, no signal is being sent to the monitor. I know the monitors works, and everything seems to be on. I just don't know what the problem could be, or where to start. Any suggestions?

make sure the ram is in slot 1&2 or slots 3&4
make sure the mobo spacer screws are between the mobo and mobo mount, if its ur first comp.

Push every single plug, and make sure everything is connected (especially the hard drive).

Thank you all for you replies, I have checked the RAM, it is in slots 1+2, and everything else is plugged in. Also, I know the graphics card is on, as the fan + light is on.

Does the processor need to be working correctly for the fans and lights to be working? I could have messed something up, although it seems fine.

err try unplugging everything except vid card, cpu, and ram, you DONOT need a harddrive or cddrive for it to give you a screen. also make sure you read the manual..(it may seem like this is for noobs)...you might have missed something like a jumper you need to move before your pc will work right

alvino said:
Push every single plug, and make sure everything is connected (especially the hard drive).

Ah, I had the same problem, and I have almost the exact same setup as you. You need to look by the BIOS System battery for a small brown button (it is very small click type button) While the computer is off, hit that button once and hold it for 5 secs (also before you do this, make sure your PC is unplugged and you held down the power button for 20 secs) This will set the BIOS into first start mode, and the PC will turn on the next time you press the power button. You can use this button on the MSI Platinum board whenever you mess up a BIOS setting to reset to factory defaults. Good Luck, and nice setup, and BEST CHOICE ON MOBO!!

If you get nothing on your screen or you can't access your BIOS then it is a RAM problem. Is your mobo set for dual channel; did you place a RAM stick closest to your processor; are your RAM compliant with your mobo. So types of RAM do not work for instance in dual channel: just leave one stick closest to the CPU and give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom