*The Tuniq Tower Test*

Looks like a good job well done mate and the temperature reduction truely makes it worth while. AS5 takes 200 hours and several thermal cycles (power off completely and allowed to cool) before it reaches optimal thermal transfer which may gain you another degree or two.

I had to remove my side window fan to get my TU120E in.

You'll be able to overclock the Q6600 with more confidence now.

;)

looks a little tight

As I said, it pushes against the side fan just a bit, but its not a problem at all. Mounting it horizontally would have been my preference, but this position is optimal in terms of removing hot air from the case.

Looks like a good job well done mate and the temperature reduction truely makes it worth while. AS5 takes 200 hours and several thermal cycles (power off completely and allowed to cool) before it reaches optimal thermal transfer which may gain you another degree or two.

I had to remove my side window fan to get my TU120E in.

You'll be able to overclock the Q6600 with more confidence now.

;)

Thanks much. I'm waiting for the break-in to finish (possibly in a week or two) and then i'll start overclocking again. I'm curious to see how it performs under load, which is where I think it will shine.

As far as stress testing it, should I also wait until the break-in is over?

Mounting it horizontally would have been my preference, but this position is optimal in terms of removing hot air from the case.
Your case has a top mounted fan?

As far as stress testing it, should I also wait until the break-in is over?
it's not mandatory, as long as your temps are OK there is no reason not to clock it up a bit, I'd probably wait before i went looking for maximum overclocks though, 3.2 - 3.4GHz should be fine and will probably help with the "break in" time.

Your case has a top mounted fan?

Nope, it has a top exhaust, but no fan. The way it is right now, the Tuniq's fan sucks the air from the right side of my case and blows it out of the left (looking at it from my window).

DSC02193800x600.jpg

Nope, it has a top exhaust, but no fan. The way it is right now, the Tuniq's fan sucks the air from the right side of my case and blows it out of the left (looking at it from my window).
Ah, yes. I see now. i thought it was blowing air out the top. What's the bundled fan run at?

Ah, yes. I see now. i thought it was blowing air out the top. What's the bundled fan run at?

The fan is rated at 1000-2000RPM, although I am literally running it at 10-20% right now. The noise level is extremely low and the temperatures aren't fluctuating as much as I thought they would with different fan speeds. I bet that a 100% load situation would show the power of the higher speeds.

Well, I haven't been able to find a Tuniq Tower anywhere, and I don't think it's worth the shipping costs to get one from the US so I've been looking for alternatives. I'm looking at these two:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/apack-zerotherm_8.html#sect0
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-xigmatek_4.html#sect0

The NV120 dethrones the TRUE and the Xigmatek is fantastic value for money.

The NV120 will cost around £30, wheras the Xigmatek is around £20 (maybe I could spend the spare money on a good fan for it)
What does everyone think?

Back
Top Bottom