Trying to upgrade my laptop's processor. What do you recommend?

Still just curious about the price and the work involved as opposed to a new laptop (which is basically what you have).

Congrats though. I too didn't think it would work and am suprised. Nice job.

Thanks guys.

jmacavali said:
Still just curious about the price and the work involved as opposed to a new laptop (which is basically what you have).

It was $485 altogether for:
New 500GB 7200 RPM Hard drive
New Intel core 2 duo processor
New Nvidia Geforce 9600m GT w/ 512 MB memory
New heatsink
New WLAN card
New switch cover
New keyboard
New Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
New 4GB Flash drive

As for the work.. it wasn't difficult at all. I just took apart the laptop, cleaned out the fan with some isopropyl alcohol & cotton swabs, then tinted the heatsink with arctic silver 5, applied the arctic silver 5 to the processor, then just put everything else in while i was putting it all back together. I'm glad it worked.. it is so much faster than my AMD Turion x2.. and it no longer overheats!

In most laptops, you can upgrade the processor, but you have a very small selection of compatible processors you can swap out to. For the most part, they're the same processor at different clock speeds. Don't even bother swapping the motherboard out, it'll be cheaper and easier to just buy a new laptop. In other words, get used to the one you have, or buy a new one. Laptops really aren't upgradable, although there are some aftermarket notebook video cards on the market now.

I see that I got here a bit late. Seems to me that you just bought a new laptop and put it in your old case though to be totally honest. Glad it worked out for you though :)

In most laptops, you can upgrade the processor, but you have a very small selection of compatible processors you can swap out to. For the most part, they're the same processor at different clock speeds. Don't even bother swapping the motherboard out, it'll be cheaper and easier to just buy a new laptop. In other words, get used to the one you have, or buy a new one. Laptops really aren't upgradable, although there are some aftermarket notebook video cards on the market now.

I see that I got here a bit late. Seems to me that you just bought a new laptop and put it in your old case though to be totally honest. Glad it worked out for you though :)

I bought all pieces seperately. If I bought a new laptop the motherboard, etc. probably would not have fit inside my old case, unless I bought another dv7. And I don't believe dv7s come with an intel core 2 duo+ geforce 9600m GT :p

No you dont need to buy a whole new motherboard as long as you know what is compatible with you're motherboard.
If you have an Intel motherboard you must buy an Intel processor
-same goes for AMD

Also, you need to know what socket your motherboard is and match it to a processor. Not all processor will be compatible just because it is made by the same company as your motherboard.

For example: I now have a Socket P motherboard which is also called a Socket 478. (Because it has 478 holes in the processor holder on the motherboard.) Knowing that, I researched online and found out a few different processors were compatible and I decided to buy the Intel Core 2 Duo which was compatible with Socket P.

You can actually just "unlock" the processor on the motherboard by turning a plastic screw half a turn. It lifts right up.

Back
Top Bottom