Trying to Swap out DVD Drive on Xbox 360

ccasmoe00

In Runtime
Hi all..... I'm not having much luck on the xbox 360 forums, so I thought I would throw the question to you guys as well. My original Samsung dvd drive died on me a couple months ago and I am just getting around to ordering another. I purchased one last night(same model and all). Here it is.

My question is, I keep hearing everyone talking about flashing the drive and so one to make it work. What if I just want swap out the bad drive with the new one. Do I still have to flash it? Or can I just swap the board on the old one with the new one and the games will play like they are suppose to?

I found this video on Youtube and he said you can just swap the board and it will work. I am not trying to do anything illegal, I just want the damn drive to work like it use to. See video here.

What do you guys think? Do I really have to still flash it? Or can I just swap the boards and it will work fine.

As much info as you can supply would be great. Thanks!

In the link you provided, it does mention " Free Flashing Instruction".

It also says "Note: You will have to flash the new dvd drive with your old broken drive's firmware so it will work. You need to get the "key" from your old broken drive and put it on the new drive in order to get it to work. Otherwise it will not read any Xbox 360 discs. No exception. Flashing Samsung/Toshiba TS-H943 /TS-H943A Xbox 360 drive voids manufacturer's warranty."

I'm pretty sure it's to avoid piracy. You'll need to flash. :)

Woulda been easier to do it under warranty. If you were out of warranty it woulda been easier to just send it in anyway and pay the difference (no higher than $110) because then you get a new warranty. I think I will need to send mine in sometime because my drive keeps gettin read errors.

Damn, this sucks then. I have never flashed ANYTHING! lol I hope I can do it.... is it hard?

i dont think it would be hard to flash the drives.
Just cost money to get the required parts IIRC.

Flashing the drive shouldn't be too bad. I have never done a samsung (only benq and hitachi). The hitachi made be boot the drive into modeb before I could get the firmware off using 360 firmware toolbox. As for the benq I could just boot up with a windows 98 boot disk and use dosflash32. Google to see how you get the firmwares off of samsungs and we can go from there.

Hmm. I remember having to lock a hard drive to a specific key so I could use it on my xbox, but I really don't know about dvd drives.

I believe the 360 requires two things to read xbox games:
Locked to the key of the specific 360 (much like the hard drive with the old xbox)
and a firmware that can read the xbox data format.

I can understand using custom firmwares, but the key locking is pretty retarded imo.

Damn, this sucks then. I have never flashed ANYTHING! lol I hope I can do it.... is it hard?

I would not bother with flashing the drive. Follow the video that you have on your first post make sure you remember where the ribbons go. All you are doing is swapping the brains over when you switch chips.
Also the samsung has the easiest chip to swap over. All the other drives need to be rewired in certain places. You just need to unclip and swap some ribbons over with the samsung.
Make sure you have the same disc drive as your origonal.
Be carefull with flashing your drive. Many people have been kicked of xbox live for flashing their xbox 360s.

Back
Top Bottom