Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Trying to fix my computer!

Hi there all, I'm new to this site because a custom built computer that my friend built for me broke and I'm attempting to fix it. To describe the problem, my computer turns on and the fans work as well as the lights, but then nothing is displayed on my monitor. After doing some diagnostics I've concluded that the problem isn't my power supply or my graphics card. I believe the problem happened when I was transporting my computer from my dorm room to my new apartment and the tower fell over pretty hard leading me to believe that my motherboard cracked and needs to be replaced.

I purchased a new motherboard, processor, and memory.

Newegg.com - MSI 870S-G46 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX455WFGMBOX

Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX

Hopefully replacing these parts will fix my computer and I was just looking for some feedback or some advice for if this doesn't work. Has anyone dealt with a problem like this before?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

dwabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Trying to fix my computer!

The parts all look fine, and yes, physical trauma to a PC like this can easily crack or damage components. Let us know if the rebuild doesn't work for some reason. There may be some other collateral damage we need to look at.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
In Runtime
Send a message via AIM to buckweat420 Send a message via MSN to buckweat420 Send a message via Yahoo to buckweat420

I would still check voltages of the power supply and possibly test the video card in another PC just to be sure if you have not already.

Do you get any error codes or post messages when starting up the PC?
buckweat420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

A tower tipping over probably would NOT crack the motherboard. In order to crack the motherboard the case would need to have been physically bent enough to flex the motherboard. I would suspect that something was jarred loose. I would reseat all memory and cards. I'd also check that the CPU heatsink was still intact and properly installed. I'd also check the various wires that attach to the motherboard, especially all connections from the power supply. Another thing would be to reseat all socketed chips on the MB.

Changing out the motherboard, CPU and memory will most likely get you back up and running but probably isn't necessary. However, if you wanted to upgrade anyway, go for it.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Golden Master
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Can you hear the hard drive working and making the normal noises? I would say maybe your hard drive is damaged as well from a trauma like that, but seeing as the hd wasn't running it should be fine, but you never know. They still can get damaged.

Gotta be more careful when you are moving pc's, wedge it in between some stuff so it doesn't fall over, or lay the tower down when transporting it.
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote