Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-14-2009, 03:27 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default trying to figure out can this laptop take a video card?

I just bought a HP Pavilion dv4-1427nr Entertainment Notebook PC amd turion x2 dual core mobile rm 75 2.20 ghz 8 gigs of ram. It has a video card ati radeon hd 3200 graphics but I google it and found out its not a video card it is on board video. Not as good as a video card. Can I upgrade this system buy a video card and install? Or how doI find out without opening the laptop up to actually see the motherboard and see if it has a slot?

mm22005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: trying to figure out can this laptop take a video card?

LOL. Is this a joke? You can't put a video card in a laptop! You're stuck with the on-board graphics card. Please, use google images to see what an actual video card looks like, educate yourself a bit.

JXiPlatform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
Wizard of Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXiPlatform View Post
LOL. Is this a joke? You can't put a video card in a laptop! You're stuck with the on-board graphics card. Please, use google images to see what an actual video card looks like, educate yourself a bit.
JXiPlatform,
You need to switch to decafe.
A simple no would have been all that was needed.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

agreed. But mm2005 to answer your question. No, reason being is because there is no pci-e slot available and the size is too large to fit in as a laptop. there are some "docking" devices that allow up to 128mb and whatnot.

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:41 AM   #5
Golden Master

in reality, to give you a handle on how big most next gen graphics cards are, they are in the norm to be between 8-13inches long. So there basically the same size as a laptops keyboard area lol
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperviper21 View Post
in reality, to give you a handle on how big most next gen graphics cards are, they are in the norm to be between 8-13inches long. So there basically the same size as a laptops keyboard area lol
ummmm I have had (2) dell xps laptops that had actual video cards and you can put them in. Then are flat and have 4 star bit spring screws and they are upgradeable but I was wondering for other laptops besides xps alien ware
mm22005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

This is an ancient thread.

uhh...I'm gonna go ahead and have to sort of...disagree with you there...uhh...yeah....[/LUMBERG]

Chances are, if the laptop has a IGP in the chipset, it does not have any sort of aftermarket graphics solutions available.
Plus, HP's are sort of "you get what you buy and nothing else". So, it's looking pretty grim in the way of options. The only ways to answer this would be to call HP techs or take it apart and see ;D.