Trying to decide between 2 laptops.

L0g1c

Beta member
I am trying to decide between two laptops for basic uses and some gaming and I'm not sure which would preform better. I know the one graphics card is better but I mostly have a question about the processor.

Screen Size 15.6 inches
Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 6300HQ
RAM 16 GB DDR4 2133
Memory Speed 2133 MHz
Hard Drive 1000 GB mechanical_hard_drive
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
Chipset Brand nvidia
Graphics Card Ram Size 4 GB
Wireless Type 802.11 A/C

Screen Size 15.6 inches
Max Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 6500u
RAM 8 GB
Hard Drive 256 GB flash_memory_solid_state
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce
Chipset Brand NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Card Description Dedicated
Graphics Card Ram Size 2000 MB
Wireless Type 802.11 A/C

A 15 inch screen is not going to give you much gaming joy I'm afraid. Since both have that shortcoming I wouldn't recommend either.

The best of those laptops for gaming is easily the first one. It has a better GPU.
CPU performance will go down a little, but nothing that will be noticeable in games.
You also loose your SSD though, but that can be upgraded later on.

Not a fan of gaming on 15 inch though, but... that's just gaming on laptops in general.
Even 17 doesn't make a difference when you are used to 27inch.
luckily you can plug it up to an external monitor.

If you need a laptop and can only have one computer, i see the point in gaming laptops or gaming capable laptops.
I prefer having both. A good but cheap laptop for when i am at work or traveling and a gaming rig at home.

The OP could always use an external monitor for gaming at home and still have the built-in 15" screen for traveling.

Really have to decide what you need the most. The 2nd gives you speed but less storage and vice versa for the 1st one.

What do you need? Speed or capacity?

For me it's the 1st one.

First laptop has a larger hard drive but it is not solid state.
First laptop has a more powerful CPU (the i7 in laptop 2 is energy saving/dual core, the i5 is quad core).
First laptop has a more powerful graphics card.

As it stands, the second laptop will be faster for general use only due to having a solid-state hard drive. The first laptop will be significantly faster for gaming.

However, I would personally buy laptop number 1 as you can upgrade a laptop hard drive but you cannot practically upgrade the CPU/GPU after purchase. You can then choose to upgrade to a solid-state hard drive of your own choice at a later date.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend either, but if I had to make a choice, it would be:

For better gaming, I'd take the 1st. It has the better gaming power. That 960M should give similar performance to a GTX 680, a high end 2 generation older video card that is still good with even modern games.

For everything else basic, including old or low demanding games (I'm crazy about classic and 2D games), I'd take the second. It has the better computing power and the faster storage.

I'd neglect storage completely in both cases, as for the first games will take the space already. Modern games are crazy big. So in both cases, I'd consider external storage solutions. And since the monitor size is the same on both, discussing this point won't fit.

Now why would they call a dual core an i7? What's wrong with i3 which is a true dual core with HTT? An i7 is supposed to be a quad core with HTT.

Yeah, for some reason Intel is not consistent in their laptop CPU's in this. Unlike with desktop CPU's. Weird. Looks like they have a different classification for laptop CPU's, or they just don't care.

Back
Top Bottom