Troubleshooting an old server

eggoz

Beta member
I have an old Ibm Intellistation Z Server. A few weeks back, I went to install a cd writer and spare harddrive. That was the last time it boot up. I have tried everything that I can think of to fix this problem. I have disconnected the cd writer and HD that I installed as well as every other HD and floppy. I have replaced both the motherboard and power supply. This machine is still dead. It turns on, both the hd led and power led turn on and it appears to read the cdrom. And that's as far as it gets. I have no idea what else to try. Any ideas?

Interesting...

Couple of quick questions. Did you use the same cpu chip? Did you use the same ram? Both from the old motherboard is what I mean.
Also did you try another vid card?

Yes, the cpu and ram have not changed. I have tried taking out the memory and only using 1 pair at a time. I have not tried changing the video card cause I don't have a spare one. If the video card is bad, wouldn't it at least start up or give some beep codes? That's been my expirence.

well if the monitor was plugged into card, then i suppose if the cards broken, it may not start up. you do have a mon right? try pluggin in the mon into the mobo. if it doesnt work then, well i dunno.

It's dead. I put in a new video card that I borrowed (and I know it's good) and still nothing. The only thing I haven't changed has been the cpu. I installed a new (used) motherboard as well as power supply. It turns on and just sits there. It doesn't even go into the startup sequence. When I turn it on, the HD light goes on steady. I have unplugged all the HD's and the cdrom and tried them one at a time. Still nothing. It turns on, it reads the cdrom and that's it. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom