I'm building my own PC for the first time, and I've run into a problem. I put everything together and pressed the power button, and the following components started working:
- case fan, CPU cooler and power supply fan
- hard drive and dvd drive
Unfortunately, I got no signal on the monitor and no beep from the system.
Here are the details on my components:
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AMD785G mATX AM3 PCI-E DDR3 Video Sound GLAN CrossFireX HDMI (onboard audio and video)
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition
Corsair 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core I5 Dual Channel Memory Kit
Coolermaster Elite RC-330 ATX Blk Case 4X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS 1X120MM Rear Fan Front I/O Panel
Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus 500W ATX 12V V2.3 Silent Power Supply 20/24PIN 120MM Fan
Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 4.2MS 32MB
LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM
So far, I have tried the following with no luck:
1. Removed the motherboard battery to reset the CMOS. Result: no change on start up.
2. Removed the memory: no change on start up.
3. Unplugged the hard drive and DVD drive: no change.
4. Double-checked connections of the case's front panel to the motherboard, especially the speaker.
5. Tried another monitor: no change. Then confirmed both monitors work on another PC.
I am at a loss. I'm worried that the motherboard is faulty, but unsure how to confirm. In building my system, I connected the following:
- carefully installed the CPU into the motherboard, matching the triangles.
- installed the factory CPU cooler and connected its power cable to the correct spot on the motherboard
- installed both memory sticks into the first two slots on the motherboard
- then installed the motherboard into the case
- then installed the power supply into the case
- connected the main power cable from the power supply into the motherboard
- connected the cables from the case's front panel to the front panel connections on the motherboard.
- installed the hard drive and optical drive, connecting both via SATA cables to the motherboard
- found power cables coming from the power supply that fit both drives and connected them
- connected the audio cable from the case to the audio connector on the motherboard
Then I pressed the power button and it turned on as described above. To turn it off, the power button does nothing, even when held for more than five seconds. I used the switch on the power supply to turn it off.
So that's it. I hope I've provided the right details, and I would really appreciate any input anyone might have.