Trouble installing memory

Nimandir

Baseband Member
Okay, I just got my package in the mail with a memory card I ordered on newegg. It's a kingston valueram 512MB memory card (DIMM). I replaced one of my older and smaller cards and plugged this one in with no problems. I turn on the computer and it starts beeping. My computer is a Dell Optiplex 240GX, if you need to know. I noticed the computer also does this same beeping if I turn the computer on without any memory installed.

I'm hoping this isn't the case, but was I shipped a bad memory card? I can install the other two memory cards together or alone, but if I add the new 512 card or it just by itself, the beeping starts.

I have a prety good idea you may have bought the wrong ram, does it match the same spec as the old one, have you inserted it correctly , i made the same mistake a while ago i bought sever ram b mistake and got the same results as you, try putting you old ram back in and see if its ok

DellUpgrades.com said:
PowerLeap 512MB PC133 SDRAM

Speed: PC133 Size: 512MB Type: 168 Pin SDRAM Error Checking: Non-ECC Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered Cas Latency: 3 Support Voltage: 3.3V Bandwidth: 1.05GB/s Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit All PowerLeap Certified Memory includes a custom Aluminum Heat Spreader and a Limited Lifetime Warranty
Thats from the upgrade site. Thats how I knew the exact RAM I needed for my Dell. Hope this helps.

have you still got your old ram still, does it still work with them in, if so what type is your old ram (make, model ,type) are you running with 1 stick or two

I see you have found ram that will work. However in the future if your in doubt about what memory to buy check out this site. http://www.crucial.com/ At the top you'll find a memory detector tool. All you need to do is put in some of your current info and it will download a cliet that identifys what you have in your system and what your max upgrade is. You don't have to go with there ram if you don't want to but at least you'll know what your looking for ;)

make sure the ram you bought isnt ecc ram i made that mistake about a month back never gonna make it again

oh and if the ram you just bought was high density it may not work

MattieDaShark83 said:
I see you have found ram that will work. However in the future if your in doubt about what memory to buy check out this site. http://www.crucial.com/ At the top you'll find a memory detector tool. All you need to do is put in some of your current info and it will download a cliet that identifys what you have in your system and what your max upgrade is. You don't have to go with there ram if you don't want to but at least you'll know what your looking for ;)
I secound that, crucial are the best and come with a LIFE TIME GUARANTEE

Back
Top Bottom