Trouble with comp. Do I need new hardware?

mjonesguyana

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I have a rather big problem. I have a somewhat old Netvist IBM computer running Windows XP on it. I have a pentium 4 1.5 ghz processor and some other crappy stuff as well. Well, i'm a really greedy person unfortunately so I decided to try somthing new with my computer so it's performance would be alot better and games and w/e are alot smoother. So I got 2 HP DDR 512mb RAM sticks and stuck them in my computer (I took out the 576mb I had before.. 2x 256 and 1x 64). When I tried to turn my computer on I heard some beeping noises (my screen remaind black as if it was off but my monitor showed the orange light as if it were asleep or w/e). I can't remember how many beeping noises but there were about 6? I tried again because I was too focused on making my computer better but I think this made the situation worse. So I took out the good 512mb's and I put back in my old RAM. I tried to start my computer up again but to no avail. I'm not sure what I did but i'm pretty sure that somthing needs to be replaced (my guess is my computer hyperventilated on me and was like "AHHHHH TOO MUCH RAM" and exploded). When I turn on my computer now all I see is a lonley black monitor and a humming noise comming from my sad computer's power source.. :( . Does anyone know how to fix this problem or what needs to be replaced? And if so please try to get my some prices so I know how in dept I am, lol.

Thanks for viewing my thread!

That's weird... Installing RAM really shouldn't mess anything up unless you didn't seat it properly or something. Are you sure you had it in correctly, or even the correct type of RAM(you didn't give enough info for me to really look, but it apparently uses SD-RAM, not DDR...I could be wrong)

It sounds like you shorted something out, but check around to be sure you didn't knock anything off. Press down on anything that could come loose.

Prices? I'd reccomend getting a new comp. If it's a power supply problem, you never know if something else is shorted out... Plus I don't deal with Pentiums, so others could help you with those prices if you just want a new mobo or something...

A little side note, there's only so much RAM a computer can actually utilize. Most processors will do fine with 256M, and 512M is great. With a P1.5, I doubt anything more than 512M would hardly be worth the time/effort/money...but that's just my view on things...

The_Other_One said:
That's weird... Installing RAM really shouldn't mess anything up unless you didn't seat it properly or something. Are you sure you had it in correctly, or even the correct type of RAM(you didn't give enough info for me to really look, but it apparently uses SD-RAM, not DDR...I could be wrong)

It sounds like you shorted something out, but check around to be sure you didn't knock anything off. Press down on anything that could come loose.

Prices? I'd reccomend getting a new comp. If it's a power supply problem, you never know if something else is shorted out... Plus I don't deal with Pentiums, so others could help you with those prices if you just want a new mobo or something...

A little side note, there's only so much RAM a computer can actually utilize. Most processors will do fine with 256M, and 512M is great. With a P1.5, I doubt anything more than 512M would hardly be worth the time/effort/money...but that's just my view on things...

I agree with you here on this. You are right on the money.

One thing you might try to do in there is to pull out your graphics card and then plug it back in and make sure it is locked down. I have seen this thing happen before and all it was ..was the video card was knocked loose a tiny bit.

Back
Top Bottom