Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Trojan.Wimad - Need help to remove it!!

Norton keeps coming up with this trojan.

All the trojan appears to do is hog the computers resources. norton can delete it but once it has deleted it the tojan then renames itself and then appears again. E.g norton says it located in C:\windows\temp\tmp7A.tmp when norton deletes it the trojan then renames itself say from tmp7A.tmp to tmp4C.tmp to temp9D.tmp and so forth... If you watch it normally it is continually changing its name infront of you.

ive tried deleting in safe mode which seemed to work but when windows loaded normally it appeared back agian. someone suggested making a bootdisk for norton and trying to delete it from DOS but i dont know how to do that.

Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Trojan.Wimad - Need help to remove it!!

Here's what I would try doing.
1. Getting rid of norton because it uses probably as much resources as a trojan
2. Go with a better product (AVG, Avast!, Avira...)
3. boot into safe mode and try to scan and quarantine or delete that way. I usually delete and have no trouble but sometimes I quarantine so it can't run on my PC again.

IMO, Norton is awful at working with viruses, if you can I'd go with another scanner or if you don't want to, go and use the Trend Micro Housecall online scanner which is free and works well. You can find it here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

You could also try using a program with a rootkit scanner such as bitdefender and see if that finds anything if all else fails.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

ive got NOD32 so im going to put that on there and give it a whirl
Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher
ive got NOD32 so im going to put that on there and give it a whirl
that should get rid of it. NOD32 is very good at working with viruses, especially uknown ones. Hope all goes well.