Triple Boot (XP, Vista, adding Win7)

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Alrighty. Time for a triple boot :D

I just got done shuffling things around on my hdd to make room for W7 (and then I'll just wipe it and reinstall the RTM when it comes out).

Here's the HDD skinny:
Part0: XP (35GB)
Part1: Vista (250GB)
Part3: Empty for W7 (220GB)
Part4: Documents (198GB)

Everything is backed up and ready to go.

Do I just pop in the W7 disk and do the rest or will I have to make changes so that I get boot options when I'm all done?

Just checking before I give it a go. Headed to bed now, so no big hurry.

Thanks all!

Do I just pop in the W7 disk and do the rest or will I have to make changes so that I get boot options when I'm all done?

Assuming that your XP/Vista dual boot is working correctly, the answer is yes, pop the Win7 DVD in, select custom install, navigate to the correct partition and install.

Your boot ini / BCD should auto configure to show all three os', you can change the first boot os in either Vista or Win7 using msconfig from the run/search option and selecting default in the boot tab for your desired primary os.

Can I ask......Why?

Sure.

I keep XP on here because there are a few programs that only work with it. For instance, Partition Magic (the version I have. the newer ones might support Vista, IDK, but I'm not about to go get a new version). I don't use it too often, but it's nice to have an OS that can use it.

Vista is my main OS, and I use it 90% of the time. There are a few things that don't work (like burning a CD in iTunes...don't ask. No one has ever found the solution. iTunes is just retarded. Uninstall/reinstall...I've tried it all. It just won't burn my darn cds. It starts the burn then cancels it right away and ejects the CD, leaving me with a coaster every darn time. So, I use XP when I need to burn a CD from iTunes).

And, I want to get familiar with W7 so that when the RTM comes out, I know the ins and outs since I run a computer business and will eventually have to deal with it. Plus, from what I've heard, it's pretty darn good.

So there ya have it. :D Eventually, I'm sure that I'll move on over to just W7, but initially, I had XP and Vista dual booted because of all of the Vista problems. As they eventually were fixed, I started to use XP almost none of the time. So I'm sure that'll happen with Vista and W7, too.

ATF: Thanks. I'll give it a shot later today!

Be aware that Windows 7 usually creates a 100MB boot partition (although it may just put the boot information on your 35MB XP partition, don't really know. Never seen your particular configuration before).

Haha. Yes. Always happy to report back ;)

I would rep you, but I've gotta spread it around! :p

Back
Top Bottom