Transferring data help.

Smartpart

In Runtime
So my uncle is getting a new comp. We need to transfer all of the stuff over from his old one. What options do I have besides external harddrive and alot of cd's? Is there some kind of internet hosting out there that you can save stuff to. I know( i think its ) dell has internet backup, but this isn't a dell and ya...

Thanks

You could image the hard drive and save it to a dvd. This will make the new computer exactly the same as the old.

That'd be my choice if you're just wanting to copy over the entire hard drive.

The new computer should have an ethernet port so if you just want to move some files over just network them with a crossover cable and a pci card for the old one if it doesnt already have one.

you could put the hard drive from the old pc into the new PC copy all the files you want off it by putting it in either on an ide port or a sata port depends what type of connection the old hard drive is and what kinda connections the new computer has

yes you can you just need whats called a crossover cable , its a network cable with a few wires in different places so the computers may interact without the need for a router

I think muz's option is the best, just open up the new computer and install the old hdd as a slave drive and copy the wanted files over to the new hdd, if you don't feel comfortable opening up the new computer, you could just buy an external hdd enclosure, plug in the old hdd and just plug the enclosure into a usb port to start copying files over, just make sure you get one with the same interface as the old hdd (if it really is "old", it should be an IDE hdd)...

yes plus that way if you dont need the old pc anymore you can use the old hard drive as secondary storage drive in the new pc or as an external drive in the enclosure explained above

There isnt going to be any switching of hard drives. I will probably just go with an external. How would you copy files through the network anyways? Sorry I'm kind of noobish at networking.

Back
Top Bottom