Transfering PCIs

JCGhost

Beta member
Hey there,

My friend recently moved and gave me a Windows 2000 Dell Optiplex GX260. The computer has a wireless PCI card (antenna included) installed in it. However, the computer runs horribly. We recently received a Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP and it runs fine, but is lacking a wireless card. Since we want to hook the Dimension up upstairs, we can't run cords up there. I was curious to know if it was possible to transfer the Optiplex's wireless card to the Dimension. I do not have the disk for the card, but could plug into the router with ethernet to get drivers if I can. Is any of this possible/recommended? Thanks for your time and sorry for the long post.

It'll work fine.

Just remove it from the Dell and stick it in the Dimension. If you know the model number of the card then hard-wire the Dimension to the internet and download the drivers before you transfer the wi-fi card. Then after you installed the card locate the driver that you downloaded and install it.

Look at it and write down the brand and any model numbers you see before you install it in your pc.

All you have to do is remove the screw that attaches it to the pc case and pull the card out. Then just put it in an available pci slot in the new machine and reinstall the screw. You'll probably have to remove a slot cover from the new machine, just unscrew the screw holding it in and remove it.

Back
Top Bottom