Transfer of data

bluenose1940

In Runtime
I am wanting to transfer all of the data from my current D: Drive to a new SSD Drive and am wondering how best to do it.

The new SSD Drive is called a 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive and is connected to my pc by way of a USB cable. Is this drive suitable for my purposes?

There is 200GB of data on my D: drive which needs to be transferred and so I imagine that this will probably take some time. I want the finished product to be absolutely identical to what I have now, i.e. when I open my D: drive I can see all of the files/folders listed by name and in alphabetical order.

Any help with this will be much appreciated. Thank you.

As Celery said, it's very easy, simply copy the folders you want from the D: drive to the backup drive. As you suspected, 200GB will take awhile to transfer via USB but you should be able to start the transfer and walk away.

If you just care about the files, then you've got your answer.

Sorting/listing of files can be done directly from file explorers so this is not an issue. But if you wanna keep some deeper file attributes (e.g. current date of creation and modification) identical, you're gonna need a cloning software to clone the full drive as it is then restore the image to the new drive. I don't see this is necessary for simple data transfer, tho.

One software is EaseUS Disk Copy. It makes an identical copy/transfer of anything. I think Windows Backup can do that too but I only tested if with OS backup.

If it's about the OS drive (e.g. one that holds Windows) then cloning it is. You might need a system disk if the restored image says the OS need a repair.

OK chaps, I've managed to crack this one now. I used a copy of Macrium Reflect and did a 'clone' of the disk and it seems to have worked OK.

I use Macrium Reflect to do all my backups but hadn't realised that it would do what I wanted it to do, that is to give me an absolutely identical image of the drive with my data on it. I know, you're all thinking 'what's he like eh!' well, it's definitely an age thing, I swear:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom