transfer all data onto new computer harddrive

oleg

Solid State Member
I am getting a new computer today and want to transfer all of the information from my current Dell 2400 hard drive to my new computers. Any ideas on how to do it? (about 40gb worth of data)

Do I need some wire? Can I make it an external harddrive and just Copy it over? How would I do it?

Thank you

Open up the dell, remove the hard drive, plug the hard drive into the new PC with the new hard drive. Get Norton Ghost and boot it and then have it transfer all files from old HD to new HD (including windows)

the new comp comes with Windows Media Edition. Can you choose not to copy over windows?

And it costs $$$ :/

Use norton ghost or a hard drive back up program and copy your hard drive on dvd's or something and then transfer all of your documents and music and stuff. Of course doing this, this way you cant copy everything because you getting a new computer you will have different hardware. Or if you dont want to pay for norton ghost just burn all of your documents and music to dvd/cd's. Unforutenatlly you can not copy everything because you have a different windows version and you will be getting new hardware with the new pc.

im using my new computer now. How would I hook up my old hard disk to my new computer?

Thanks

You would put your old hard drive as slave and then, format it with Disk Management.

i see. Is there a diagram you could show me? Right now I'm having trouble trying to remove the damn hard drive :(

I found the hard disk, and now am trying to remove it from its metal incasing. I'm gonna need help on finding the slot where it gets plugged into the new computer.

edit: damn dell made it almost impossible to take out one of the screws. Not enough room for a screw driver GRRR :mad: :mad: :mad:

edit: finally got it out, where do I plug it in now? and once its plugged in, should something appear on the screen?

Make sure the new PC is OFF before you plug in the old hard drive. Disconnect ALL power from the PC.

Then use the cable that connected the old hard drive to your dell Motherboard and use that to connect the dell hard drive to the NEW motherboard. Then plug in a power connector from the power supply to the dell hard drive. When you turn on the computer, enter BIOS and see if it recognizes the new hardware.

PS: If you have no idea what BIOS is or what an IDE cable is, I would reccommend just burning all of your 40GB data to DVDs. It would only take about 9 DVDs

Back
Top Bottom