tower melt down

davy

Beta member
I almost had my tower catch fire because the power supply fan stopped. The cputhermometer software wouldn't shut it down because the cpu operates at only 40c but the mother board and the other wiring was melting. By the time the cpu would be effected by the ambient temperature it would be too late. I am trying to find a method of sensing an overheating problem which would be an independent stand alone system. Even though my system has fans everywhere and is dust free I still want it to be safe from setting its self on fire when I'm away.
Would someone please know of a solution.

Turn off the CPU

unplug the cable and get a fan. quick

I think your CPU's already burnt by the time you read this.

Turn off your computer ASAP, disassemble it and make sure none of the components have been damaged beyond repair (or at all). Replace the ones that broke, and replace your PSU (get a good one, too). Your PSU should have turned off by itself if it was overheating, so you may have had a really crappy PSU.

You might check your bios settings, I've seen some that you can set to shut down the computer above a certain temp. Personally, I usually shut down the computer when I'm gone. If I'm running out for a short while and someone else is home I might leave it on.

you have to be careful. I saw one computer literally shoot flames out of the power supply. The computer was OK after replacing the power supply, but it was a bit exciting. I alway use PC power and cooling supplies in anything that I put together, but I've seen an Antec power supply run so hot you couldn't touch it due to fan failure. The server it was in just kept chugging along. I wonder how long that server was running with a dead fan in the power supply.

The Psu doesn't automatically shut off, its the motherboard that is set to shut off after a while. Something has to have been going wrong because any normal Motherbaord would shut down and beep once you tried to turn it back on, telling you that is has overheated.

The problem seems to lie in the Motherboard

PSU's don't normally have a thermal sensor to detect an overheat problem. Most times, they'll just overheat to the point of no return and go poof!

There are a few power supplies that have a fan monitoring cable that plugs into a fan port on the mobo. That would only warn you of a stopped fan.

Back
Top Bottom