toward a freer internet

bradleyheathhays

Solid State Member
Not up to speed on these things, but recently I've been told about an internet modem that costs somewhere around $300-400 that, once you buy it, gives you free internet. The guy that heard about it is backtracking now to try to find out more information about it, so I'm waiting to hear back from him. In the meantime I've been researching what this thing could be and the closest I've come up with is something that might be called a BPL modem, or a Broadcast over Power Lines modem.

Does anyone here have some insight as to what my buddy might be talking about? I want to get internet to my Mom but don't want to pay the reoccurring high monthly fees that cable companies charge. But if a one time cost of a few hundred bucks will get it done then I'm game. I'm all ears here.

Thanks!

You're being taken for a ride.

Unless you hijack someone's unprotected wifi (or hack into one o_O ) you won't be getting free internet any time soon.

FYI, most of the lower tier internet speeds, even from cable companies are less than $40 a month. If you call them up every time they raise the rates, and threaten to cancel, you can lock in even better deals. Yeah playing the system sucks, but it works.

Back
Top Bottom