Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
Gra
Baseband Member

Default A touch of trouble with my SLI

My setup consists of an overclocked i5 2500k, 8 GB RAM, ASUS mobo, and 2 GTX 570s. When playing a game recently I noticed only one of my GTX 570s was running most of it (ie around 75%-100% with the other at 5%). The game stuttered at certain spots so clearly it wasn't a case of simply not requiring the 2nd card. So I opened my control panel and noted that SLI was off, and instead it was set so that the 2nd card was dedicated to PhysX. When I turn on SLI the computer appears to apply my changes. Yet quickly there after, half of the screen goes blank and the other half flickers vertical lines in such a manner as to render the screen unusable. I of course tried the classic tricks. Restarting, Re-seating the SLI bridge and power connectors, and changing up the monitor's connection. Yet nothing worked and instead just shifted the flickering lines about the screen. Eventually I was able to get my cards back into their previous setting and they work, yet not in SLI. I would quite like for them to work in SLI, so I ask: have you any suggestions for this annoyed gamer?

Thanking you kindly,
Gra

Gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: A touch of trouble with my SLI

hmm. that sounds very odd. what game is it? is it all kind of games or only one game you are having trouble with?
might be a compatibility problem with the game it self.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Gra
Baseband Member

Well I noted this while playing Batman Arkham City. But I don't believe that it is the cause because the screen flickers as described after starting SLI whether or not I'm playing any game at the time. I'm also sure that neither card is dead as I checked and either can run my monitor alone.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

It sounds to me like driver issues. There is a beta driver that is more geared to Batman that might help: http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/40030

You can find more info about that driver here: http://www.geforce.com/News/articles...ivers-released

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Gra
Baseband Member

The problem isn't the game as far as I can tell. I have the latest drivers and turning SLI on causes flickering with out playing any game. If I have SLI on then as soon as I turn on my computer and it moves past the "windows is starting" screen my monitor begins to flicker.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Just to confirm because latest does not always mean the newest. The "latest" drivers that Nvidia released were back in the end of October. The betas I liked to are about 2 weeks old and not found unless you search for the betas. I'm sticking to this because of this note from the release notes I linked

Quote:
Fixes random flickering as Windows boot logo is loading or fading away.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Gra
Baseband Member

Ahh yes sorry about my lack of clearity. I indeed do have the Beta drivers installed for both of my 570s. Installed them yesterday. I did notice the "Fixes Random flickering as windows boot logo is loading or fading away" but, alas, it did not resolve the issue.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Site Team

Darn I was really hoping you didn't have the betas

Ok, my next thought is power supply. You said that both cards work independently so I wonder if your PSU isn't up to par to run two at once. I don't see any note on what wattage and brand your PSU is. Could you find this out and post please?

Old 12-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Gra
Baseband Member

Forgot to post that. It is a an Antec High Current Gamer 900 Watt. Should be enough I think, but I'm not certain. Thanks for your continuing help!
Old 12-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
Site Team

Unfortunately that just about ends my experience with SLI problems. Hopefully someone else has an idea from here.