Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Touch Panel

I'm considering getting a touch panel for my second 19" monitor. Is this a more cost effecient solution to getting a touch screen monitor? Also, what are the pro's/con's of it?

And finally, is there anything else I should know about it? Do I need a dedicated card in my computer or anything for it?

Thanks

Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Touch Panel

I believe it should run like a tablet, so shouldn't need any extra hardware.
It'll probably require a USB output along with a display output. I wouldn't think anything else.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I believe it should run like a tablet, so shouldn't need any extra hardware.
It'll probably require a USB output along with a display output. I wouldn't think anything else.
Display output? I'm just talking about the panels you put over an existing monitor. I can't find anywhere that sells them though =/

I've seen people use them before though...
Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Baseband Member

hi im doing this for two of my monitors.

on ebay you can get a usb touch panel that is put under the front bezel of your monitor and has a chip board that you can either let hang out of your monitor or cable tie inside and run a usb cable out fom your monitor to a free usb 2.0 port.

no extra power cables, video cables or anything.

you take off your front bezel place the panel in, put the bezel back on, plus into a usb port, install the software and your good to go.

the panel for a 19" widescreen panel is 95- 100 on ebay. if you have a widescreen, get the panels from ireland (no uk sellers of them) these ones are 16:9 where as the ones from abroad are 19.1" and are over 16:9.

hope this helps
reeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve View Post
hi im doing this for two of my monitors.

on ebay you can get a usb touch panel that is put under the front bezel of your monitor and has a chip board that you can either let hang out of your monitor or cable tie inside and run a usb cable out fom your monitor to a free usb 2.0 port.

no extra power cables, video cables or anything.

you take off your front bezel place the panel in, put the bezel back on, plus into a usb port, install the software and your good to go.

the panel for a 19" widescreen panel is 95- 100 on ebay. if you have a widescreen, get the panels from ireland (no uk sellers of them) these ones are 16:9 where as the ones from abroad are 19.1" and are over 16:9.

hope this helps
Ok. I really didn't want to mess with the bezel, but oh well. Are there any stores that sell them such as newegg or tigerdirect? I don't like dealing with eBay personally =/
Old 04-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Omnicide now.

You will most likely have to go ebay or a supplier to find one. I got one for my eee pc to do a tablet mod, and it worked, but only on windows and mac os. The provided linux drivers were designed for debian 2, and caused some major problems when i tried to install on debian 6. It also distorts the image in the screen a bit, but it is not too serious, and it will cause glare to be weird. For a regular desktop monitor, i see no use for a single point touch panel. It will not be useful, and it will most likely hurt your arm if you use it for long. Stick to a good mouse, or might I suggest a wacom touch? They are pretty interesting. Gt the model that allows you to use a pen or your fingers.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
You will most likely have to go ebay or a supplier to find one. I got one for my eee pc to do a tablet mod, and it worked, but only on windows and mac os. The provided linux drivers were designed for debian 2, and caused some major problems when i tried to install on debian 6. It also distorts the image in the screen a bit, but it is not too serious, and it will cause glare to be weird. For a regular desktop monitor, i see no use for a single point touch panel. It will not be useful, and it will most likely hurt your arm if you use it for long. Stick to a good mouse, or might I suggest a wacom touch? They are pretty interesting. Gt the model that allows you to use a pen or your fingers.
Yeah, the more I'm thinking about this the less I like the idea. I was just going to use it for itunes and shortcuts, but I think I can get to it way faster with my mouse.

Can you provide a link to this Wacom touch please? What exactly is it?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
Yeah, the more I'm thinking about this the less I like the idea. I was just going to use it for itunes and shortcuts, but I think I can get to it way faster with my mouse.

Can you provide a link to this Wacom touch please? What exactly is it?
Sorry, i am on my iphone so it would take me a ridiculous amount of time to get a link. Just google it. You'd want the pen + touch model, which is basically a drawing pad that also accepts touch input from your fingers. I am not sure if it is single point or multi touch, but you use it similar to a laptop trackpad, and it is very nice.

Another interesting input device is a gyroscopic 'air' mouse. I have one for my HTPC (gyration brand) and it is amazing once you get used to it. Check the egg for refurbed ones. I got mine for $45.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

here ya go:

WACOM Bamboo Touch

WACOM Bamboo Craft Pen & Touch Touch

WACOM Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch Touch
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Ahh, I see. Not really what I'm after, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys, I knew I could count on this place to help