total personal system

I have 14 ish Tbs of data I will tell you that it will be easier to increase you HD space as you go. I am paying for 2 Tb drives what I use to pay for 1 TB drives. Its not practical to buy that many HD's up front with out implementation of a raid array

as i already said, i dont really have the space for a desktop tower.

it may not be practical to buy that many drives however they arent that expensive. besides i will need to build the rack for them and deal with psu for them and stuff so buying the hdd's is more gradual than you think. im talking over a few months. not all 8 at once.

also another note on desktops, i find my laptop is far quieter than any desktop i've come across. and even with all the usb's its still less of a power drain that a desktop would be.

your also missing a possible financhial gain to having that much room.

its probably that he is a little....slow shall we say, but one of my "freinds" that i dont like so much is happy to pay me a monthly fee for storing backups of his hdd lol. im not gunna complain. his loss.

anyway, if you can then why not right?

and only 1x2tb drive is for music! personaly speaking. i ever delete music, i host alot of parties, (another excellent use ofr multi monitor, club dj pro, plays videos on the other monitors lol) so deleting older music not a good idea.

as i already said, i dont really have the space for a desktop tower.

it may not be practical to buy that many drives however they arent that expensive. besides i will need to build the rack for them and deal with psu for them and stuff so buying the hdd's is more gradual than you think. im talking over a few months. not all 8 at once.

also another note on desktops, i find my laptop is far quieter than any desktop i've come across. and even with all the usb's its still less of a power drain that a desktop would be.

I used to have a 100% silent desktop. The only fan was a 500RPM 140mm. It just depends on what components you use.

It looks like you are set on buying all these random drives and there is nothing we can do to stop you, but I will say this. There is no way you will use all of that space, you might as well just go light your money on fire. Hard drives will always be increasing in capacity, while decreasing in price. Basically, if you ever fill all those drives up, by that time, you will be able to buy at least twice the storage for the same price that you paid. Buy just one drive and see how far it gets you. If you do a little disk maintenance, that single drive should last you at least a year.

i filled a 500gb hard drive in two months. i think that says it all really lol.

see i dont buy dvd's, i buy them digitaly and download them. same with music. and i dont think you would throw away a dvd if you liked it would you?

so with that in mind a couple of 2tb drives will maybe last me a year for movies, as for music, i buy 5-10 albums a month. and never delete them, then also purchase the music videos for them as well.

not to mention programs. as you said, becoming more demanding on the hardware and on disk space, software bloating they call it.

i would rather build this rack knowing i can add the drives in as i buy them than have to build another rack later. i was only gunna buy one drive a month.

Buy the drives when you run out of space. They will get bigger, faster, and cheaper as you wait, and there is no point having them to just sit there, so save your money!

Filling 500GB is not hard. I have literally knocked that out in a day. The thing is that you get to a point when there is no point keeping duplicates of things, and every old version of whatever you are backing up.

And, like I said, music takes up very little space. Standard DVD quality movies are pretty tiny too. You are grossly overestimating the storage you need.

I think this guy is just trying to get a response! No one would spend money on what he is trying to build. Makes no sense!

This is like buying a 1980's Nissan Sentra, then putting spinners, custom paintjob, leather interior, fart muffler, spoiler, and 2000 watt sound system. At the end of the day, it's still a Nissan Sentra, and won't go more than 80 mph, and couldn't even drive the audio amps if you turned them past 2.

I find it amusing that you have all of these monitors, yet you probably can't even run an HD movie on one of them. I would like to know just how much you spent for all of this. It's incredibly pointless to me. You say about using a vaccine instead of a cure, well what do you think is going to happen to your hardware? Your laptop is going to be hopelessly outdated way before you need even 2 of those drives.

If you're still hell bent on making this thing though, you're going to want E-SATA or it's going to be unbelievably slow. Oh, and you say about it being quiet, yet you're going to put 8 harddrives in an open chassis with a dedicated PSU. Yeah, have fun with that noise. When you read off of them it's gonna sound like a train driving across your desk.

This idea is just incredibly pointless, and it sounds to me that you're doing it just because it sounds somewhat cool.

This is like buying a 1980's Nissan Sentra, then putting spinners, custom paintjob, leather interior, fart muffler, spoiler, and 2000 watt sound system. At the end of the day, it's still a Nissan Sentra, and won't go more than 80 mph, and couldn't even drive the audio amps if you turned them past 2.

I find it amusing that you have all of these monitors, yet you probably can't even run an HD movie on one of them. I would like to know just how much you spent for all of this. It's incredibly pointless to me. You say about using a vaccine instead of a cure, well what do you think is going to happen to your hardware? Your laptop is going to be hopelessly outdated way before you need even 2 of those drives.

If you're still hell bent on making this thing though, you're going to want E-SATA or it's going to be unbelievably slow. Oh, and you say about it being quiet, yet you're going to put 8 harddrives in an open chassis with a dedicated PSU. Yeah, have fun with that noise. When you read off of them it's gonna sound like a train driving across your desk.

This idea is just incredibly pointless, and it sounds to me that you're doing it just because it sounds somewhat cool.

actually im not a big fan of hd. its just another reason for companies to charge extra. and while they are coming down in price ALOT its not something i have the reason to invest in.

oh and btw did you read when i said i dont watch a whole lot of movies on the computer system?
if your not going to read the whole thread why even comment?

as for noise from the hdd rack, first things first, its not the first potentialy noisey rig i've built. not just in computer technology but in alot of forms of mechanics. and i've got pretty damn good at making things quiet as i buld them.

everyone has thier own idea about thier own computer systems. WHEN my main hardware needs upgrading i will. but UNTIL then the laptop serves as the best method to run it all from for the time being. seeing as i dont have room for a big arse tower sitting on the floor or the time/resources at the moment to build a tower for it all.

it seems people are failing to get to grips with that.

foothead, your right about running esata. should have seen that from the start to be honest so thanks for pointing that out.

and as for getting the drives as i fill them up. fair play i see your arguement for that. but the rack im going to build will still be built to house 8.

Back
Top Bottom