Toshiba Vs. Fujitsu?

Kosis

Solid State Member
Hello again,

I checked out two notebooks at a local Fry's computer store, here are their specs:

Toshiba S231 - $1499
Intel Pentium 4 3.33 GHZ
512 MB Memory
100 GB HD
15.4" XGA
Dual DVD +/- RW
802.11 g
XP Home Edition
here's one i found, but it seems to have more features: http://www.outpost.com/product/4319375?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Fujitsu 561 - $1249
Intel Pentium Centrino 1.7 GHZ
512 MB Max Memory 1 GB (does this mean i cannot upgrade memory?)
40 GB HD
15" Crystal View 1024x768
DVD/CD-RW Combo
MS XP Home

I was told the Fujitsu is all around better than the Toshiba. But then why is it cheaper? I was also told the Centrino's battery ultimately last longer.
I do like how the Toshiba has more GHZ and HD space.

All in all, which is the better one?

The Fujitsu's battery lasts longer because it uses the Pentium M, which is designed to save batteries. The Toshiba's Pentium 4 is just a normal desktop CPU.

If you're doing traveling, get the Fujitsu. If you want a desktop replacement, get the Toshiba.

I plan on lugging it to and from school so I don't have to use the one's in the labs that so many people have used.

What makes the Toshiba like a desktop CPU and not the Fujitsu? Or is it as well?

Is the difference between the GHZ and HD space going to be noticeable once I install movie editing and adobe programs on the Fujitsu?

One more thing, will I have to get an external cd rw if I get the Toshiba?

Thanks for all the responses so far. :]

well, the p4 eats a lot. the pent m is just a great processor, the best from intel in my opinion. and of course, the size of the tosiba's hd is just massive and the fujitsu's is, ineed, quite small. get the tosibha is ur gonna do vid editing... it eats up so many gigs in so little time. yes, the hd space will be noticable. unless u get an exteneral (which is pretty epensive still nowadays) the bigger the better. from what i think, if its an dvd rw, its most likely a cd rw. i say tosibha, its looks better, esepcailly with the nicely bigger screen. 15.4 is pretty sweet. plus, with a dvd bunner, its pretty sweet (again). so yeah, toshiba.

I thought the centrino was the better on the battery :p I know the Dell XPS comes with the Pentium4-M rather than the Centrino. Or last I checked I thought it did.

Well, how much do you plan to need the battery? Most laptops will last about 2 hours on batteries pretty easilly.

Kosis said:
What makes the Toshiba like a desktop CPU and not the Fujitsu? Or is it as well?

Well the Toshiba uses a regular desktop Pentium 4 processor which eats up lots of battery power, although it's certainly more powerful than the Pentium M.

The Penitum M is designed to be light on the battery while giving maximum performance. The Pentium M should be more than enough for daily school uses. If you're a heavy gamer, go with the Pentium 4, or better yet go with AMD Mobile Athlon 64's (or the Turion :D).

The_Other_One said:
I thought the centrino was the better on the battery :p I know the Dell XPS comes with the Pentium4-M rather than the Centrino. Or last I checked I thought it did.

Well, how much do you plan to need the battery? Most laptops will last about 2 hours on batteries pretty easilly.

The Centrino technology is a system of components. It includes the Pentium M processor, the chipset and the wireless internet card. The Pentium M is low power, therefore using less power.

And, yes, the Dell XPS Gen 2 Notebook uses a Pentium M instead of the Gen 1's Pentium 4.

Back
Top Bottom