Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Toshiba Power Adapter Question

Hello all,
The power cord on my laptop is getting a short in it. It's a Toshiba Satellite P205D laptop. The power will intermitently kick on and off depending on how I wiggle the cord where it plugs into the computer. It's done this in the past, and I managed to fix it with a little solder, but I'm tired of fooling with it and I'm in the market for a new one.
Now, my question. On the adapter itself, it says it's a 19V, 3.95A power adapter. The plug that goes into the computer is 2.5mm ID, and 5.5mm OD, 12mm long. When I search online for new adapters, most websites list that the P205D has a 19V, 6A power supply, but that's not what I've been using since I bought this thing, and I'm wary of ramping up the current like that.
When I *do* find a 3.95A power adapter, it says it's for a different model of satellite, however the plug dimensions are the same.
If the voltage and current match, and if the plugs that go into the computer are the same dimensions, will it work even though it says it's for a different model number?
If not, will switching to 6A instead of 3.95 cause issues?
I appreciate the help.

Techtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Solid State Member

Default Re: Toshiba Power Adapter Question

the volts is the main thing and the connections are the same should be fine either one

oscer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Toshiba Power Adapter Question

Forget model numbers.

As long as you find a switching PSU that outputs the same voltage, polarity, plug dimensions and can supply at least 4 amps of current then your good to go.