Too Much Confusion

RAID uses mulitple hard drives for backup purposes. Some RAID config. are used for performance purposes as well. The RAID 0 reminds me of dual channel RAM a lot. It does the same thing except RAM is temporary storage and RAID is permanent storage.

I'll be using RAID 0. Any redundancy I'll need will be achieved through seperate hard drives. It's always a good idea to have critical data archived on a seperate drive. Basically 3 drives, 2 for RAID, and 1 for archiving of critical data. An OS can always be reinstalled, as well as any other programs (i.e. games). Always be redundant with critical data.

You lose some performance with RAID 0+1. Don't know how much. If it's not much then I'll use it, but if it is, I won't. We'll see when all is said and done and I have screen in front of me showing me actual data.

So the only benefit with RAID is just for backup purposes and speed/performance? Is this something that should be seriously considered? I only ask cuz I'm not too familiar with RAID..... :confused:

Your hard drive is just like any other component on your computer it can either perform up to the potential of the rest of the computer or it can create a bottleneck. Regular IDE has been creating bottlenecks for years, thus the introduction of SATA and RAID. You don't run your games, or programs straight off of CD usually. You load them to the hard drive because it gives you better performance. RAID boosts that performance even further, the the mother of them all SCSI. So, if you're a gamer and you're not running a RAID configuration you're doing yourself and your computer a disservice.

Depending on the drives used, a RAID 0+1 can increases your hard drive speeds up to ~40% (give or take). That's pretty significant. SCSI in the right configuration can transfer up to 1 GB/sec of data. That's incredible. Alas, SCSI is very hard to find in a gamer type motherboard and extremely expensive.

TRDCorolla said:
I remember there is a RAID 0+1 so you get both redundancy and performance. Then there's RAID 1+0, :eek:

RAID 1 + 0 and 0 + 1 is the same thing. It simply means "Raid Striping + Mirroring"

Back
Top Bottom