Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
Fully Optimized
 
ace777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,110
Angry Tired of My rig PLZ HELP!!!

well basically I get a comp that had a previous trojan virus for 50$ from someone.I get It home run a AVG virus sweep and remove all the virusus from the HDD. Then Everything seems to going ok. Since that Time I have done quite a few upgrades, more RAM,vid card, and PSU. Now I go and try and run Doom 3 the game works great! I play other games like this one and slowly the comp starts getting errors. I have tried everything I know how to do, I think the reg files a messed up or the virus has simply come back.What can I do in this situation? Is there a way I can keep all the data of my comp or do a clean install (because I don't have internet on that one).
__________________

__________________
2.4 Ghz celeron, 1.25 PNY pc 2700 RAM,PNY VERTIGO 5200 FX , 40 GB HDD
900Mhz 256 RAM , MX 4000, 30 GB HDD
1.9Ghz dual core AMD Athlon 2 GB 384 VRAM 320 Gb HD
2.3 tricore phenom,2 GB RAM , EVGA 9600 GSO,250 GB SSD
2.6 X4 620, 4GB RAM, 9600 GSO, 500 GB HDD/I'm part of The Project
ace777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
Juice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,946
Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice
Default Re: Tired of My rig PLZ HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace777 View Post
well basically I get a comp that had a previous trojan virus for 50$ from someone.I get It home run a AVG virus sweep and remove all the virusus from the HDD. Then Everything seems to going ok. Since that Time I have done quite a few upgrades, more RAM,vid card, and PSU. Now I go and try and run Doom 3 the game works great! I play other games like this one and slowly the comp starts getting errors. I have tried everything I know how to do, I think the reg files a messed up or the virus has simply come back.What can I do in this situation? Is there a way I can keep all the data of my comp or do a clean install (because I don't have internet on that one).
if its the comp in your sig, sludgehammer the friggn small ass 40gb virus infested problem filled operating system harddrive and get a 320gb and install windows vista home premium

ultimate would work fine on that pc but not with gaming
__________________

__________________
Juice
P4 2.4GHz, 1.5Gb, 40Gb.
PowerBook G4 867MHz, 1Gb, 60Gb.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
Juice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,946
Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice
Default Re: Tired of My rig PLZ HELP!!!

cough cough

the computer is so/so but the hard drive is really small for gaming. just get a new hard drive and install vista but not ultimate unless youre daring.
__________________
Juice
P4 2.4GHz, 1.5Gb, 40Gb.
PowerBook G4 867MHz, 1Gb, 60Gb.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: Tired of My rig PLZ HELP!!!

delete the partition and make a new one. Install windows in that partition. The virus should be gone after that. Also 40GB is plenty big just for games. And why Vista?
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
bullzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: US
Posts: 3,283
Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi
Default Re: Tired of My rig PLZ HELP!!!

juicer, its not just as simple as getting a new harddrive, some of us have what we call a budget, i dont have a job at all, so i cant hardly do anything, not saying that ace doesnt have a job, idk, but dont tell him to go buy a harddrive, im sure he would have already if he had the money,

ace, the best thing to do is to simply uninstall every program that you dont use, only the games and the stuff you use all the time, download a program called O&O Defrag. you will probably have to use a torrent, but once you open it up and get it running, run the "space" option, if you have any questions lemme know

if you cant download it, the best thing to do is to uninstall windows, and when you reinstall it, make 2 partitions, both 20gb, one for the os and regular programs, and the other for games and media, keep these partitions organized


bullzi
__________________
-Desktop- Dual Monitor, Q8200 2.34Ghz, 8GB, 1TB, XFX 6850, 7 Ultimate
-ASUS UL50- SU7300, 4GB, 500GB, G210M, 7 Home Premium 64, XP Pro
-HP NC6400- Core Duo 1.86Ghz, 2.5GB, 64GB SSD, x1300, XP Pro
bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Tired of My rig PLZ HELP!!!

Well, you probably should have reformatted as soon as you got the PC.

Post a HijackThis log here if you don't want to reformat.
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:01 AM   #7
Bogan
 
Neodude112320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320
Default Re: Tired of My rig PLZ HELP!!!

Quote:
juicer, its not just as simple as getting a new harddrive, some of us have what we call a budget, i dont have a job at all, so i cant hardly do anything, not saying that ace doesnt have a job, idk, but dont tell him to go buy a harddrive, im sure he would have already if he had the money,

ace, the best thing to do is to simply uninstall every program that you dont use, only the games and the stuff you use all the time, download a program called O&O Defrag. you will probably have to use a torrent, but once you open it up and get it running, run the "space" option, if you have any questions lemme know

if you cant download it, the best thing to do is to uninstall windows, and when you reinstall it, make 2 partitions, both 20gb, one for the os and regular programs, and the other for games and media, keep these partitions organized


bullzi
I agree!
__________________
Desktop:BitFenix Survivor~Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R~ i7 2600K @ 4hz~AMD 6870 1GB~12gb Team Elite DDR3 1333~3xWD In RAID5~W7 Ult
Laptop:Alienware M11x~ i7-2637M 1.7GHz~16GB 1333MHz DDR3~GeForce GT 540M~W7 Ult
Neodude112320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
ace777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,110
Default Re: Tired of My rig PLZ HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceranch9 View Post
cough cough

the computer is so/so but the hard drive is really small for gaming. just get a new hard drive and install vista but not ultimate unless youre daring.
whats the cough cough for?Anyways I am broke from the recent addons now. That would be kind of nice to upgrade the HDD to a 80GB and I have XP OS on a disk I can use.And as for reformatting when I first got it , it ran fine and so I figured there would be no more poblems. For now i am going to format the HDD and I need to know any pointers I should watch out for, I also need to know where the drivers are keep so I can reuse them. Finally If anyone Knows where the save game files are in Halo That would be nice I have all my records and saves in that folder and I need to find it.
-thanks
__________________
2.4 Ghz celeron, 1.25 PNY pc 2700 RAM,PNY VERTIGO 5200 FX , 40 GB HDD
900Mhz 256 RAM , MX 4000, 30 GB HDD
1.9Ghz dual core AMD Athlon 2 GB 384 VRAM 320 Gb HD
2.3 tricore phenom,2 GB RAM , EVGA 9600 GSO,250 GB SSD
2.6 X4 620, 4GB RAM, 9600 GSO, 500 GB HDD/I'm part of The Project
ace777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
ace777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,110
Default Re: Tired of My rig PLZ HELP!!!

bump
__________________
2.4 Ghz celeron, 1.25 PNY pc 2700 RAM,PNY VERTIGO 5200 FX , 40 GB HDD
900Mhz 256 RAM , MX 4000, 30 GB HDD
1.9Ghz dual core AMD Athlon 2 GB 384 VRAM 320 Gb HD
2.3 tricore phenom,2 GB RAM , EVGA 9600 GSO,250 GB SSD
2.6 X4 620, 4GB RAM, 9600 GSO, 500 GB HDD/I'm part of The Project
ace777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:12 AM   #10
Jk
In Runtime
 
Jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 236
Default Re: Tired of My rig PLZ HELP!!!

Umm, well as for reformatting there isn't much to it. Just pop in your xp cd, boot from it. When it gets to the part about formatting just delete the partition and make a new one. Then install on that partition. When everything is installed go to device manager. (Right click my computer, then go to hardware tab, and device manager.) to check for missing drivers.

As for the halo save files they are in my documents under my games.
__________________

__________________
Evga 680i SLI Mobo | C2d 6420 @ 3.2 | 2gb RAM | 9800gtx | Corsair 750w | Pioneer DVD Writer | 330gb | Antec 300
Ubuntu 9.04 | Windows 7

I miss my opty :c
Jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0