Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: Is it time for x64?

I think you shouldn't be investing in XP right now... Microsoft will usually only support the current and previous generation OS. Once W7 drops, XP's days are limited.
__________________

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
Golden Master
 
Cabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,912
Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Is it time for x64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
I think you shouldn't be investing in XP right now... Microsoft will usually only support the current and previous generation OS. Once W7 drops, XP's days are limited.
XP support ends 2014. I still wouldn't spend money on XP though.

I wouldn't say 7's activation period is almost up either, you have until March or so of 2010.
__________________

__________________
=Like anime? Come to AnimeAppeal.com!=
||DFI UT P35||Q9550@3400 Mhz||Geil 4GB RAM||Radeon 5770||
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
Grantofhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Re: Is it time for x64?

I have my x64 install disk. We bought a copy a while back. I never installed it because I heard bad stuff.
__________________
RD-PC -//- i7 950 // Evga x58 SLI // 3x2 OCZ PC3-12800 // 2x Evga GTX470 // Corsair HX850 // SilverStone TJ07
Grantofhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: Is it time for x64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
XP support ends 2014. I still wouldn't spend money on XP though.

I wouldn't say 7's activation period is almost up either, you have until March or so of 2010.
Support on newer programs will drop soon, I'm sure. I know when vista came out, Microsoft released halo 2 as a 'vista only' program to boost vista sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
I have my x64 install disk. We bought a copy a while back. I never installed it because I heard bad stuff.
Yes there is a lot of bad stuff. Stick with 32. I did.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Golden Master
 
Cabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,912
Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Is it time for x64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Support on newer programs will drop soon, I'm sure. I know when vista came out, Microsoft released halo 2 as a 'vista only' program to boost vista sales.
Yeah, especially with 7 already here.
__________________
=Like anime? Come to AnimeAppeal.com!=
||DFI UT P35||Q9550@3400 Mhz||Geil 4GB RAM||Radeon 5770||
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
Grantofhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Re: Is it time for x64?

Thanks for the input guys. I'll give it a shot on my new drive later. But I won't bother transferring all my stuff right now.
__________________
RD-PC -//- i7 950 // Evga x58 SLI // 3x2 OCZ PC3-12800 // 2x Evga GTX470 // Corsair HX850 // SilverStone TJ07
Grantofhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #17
Daemon Poster
 
Russel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,037
Default Re: Is it time for x64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
I have my x64 install disk. We bought a copy a while back. I never installed it because I heard bad stuff.
I didn't even notice you mention XP. I was looking at the 32 and 64 bit stuff.

Ooops!
__________________

Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0