Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: Time for some upgrades need opinions

I guess its not a big deal if I can't use the ram cooler I'll just keep it for the soon to be media center. Besides that Crossflow fan and extra case fans should be more than enough I guess.

Thanks for the Input there folder any good recommendations on case fan choices? Also I may possibly need a fan controller for all of them. Haven't really looked at them yet.

I'll have to look at the guys review again he tried so many fan combo's god bless him lol. I'd like to keep whatever I get fan wise to under 40db's.

ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Get the stacker!
Quick question, care to explain your reasoning behind that comment??

On any other forum I visit you'd have been pulled up for spam posts by now.

Things like "Get the stacker" "That's cool" "Get that one" posted randomly without contributing to the thread content would be regarded as spam.

Do a quick search of your last 30 odd posts and see how many fall into that category.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieDaShark83 View Post
I guess its not a big deal if I can't use the ram cooler I'll just keep it for the soon to be media center. Besides that Crossflow fan and extra case fans should be more than enough I guess.

Thanks for the Input there folder any good recommendations on case fan choices? Also I may possibly need a fan controller for all of them. Haven't really looked at them yet.

I'll have to look at the guys review again he tried so many fan combo's god bless him lol. I'd like to keep whatever I get fan wise to under 40db's.
i made my own fan controller (drilled out a floppy drive bay cover) to house the fan controllers from my Thermaltake Smartfan II fans (I'll post a pic if you want when I get home from work). The reason I did this was because I have a 120mm fan in my spare 5.25" bays and the only 3.5" bay fan controller I found on the net wasn't available here.

There are myriads of fan controllers out there, Zalman make some good looking ones.

My TT Smartfans are virtually inaudable at ~1500rpm and move a good amount of air but they're not the top of the line by any means, have a look at Scythe fans for a good quietness/cfm ratio, I'd also check out the brands in the abit review (couple of brands there I've heard of but had no experience with) other than that it's the old db v cfm ratio comparisons.

E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

Sure if you want to put up a pic when you get a chance I'd like to see your custom mod.

Ya I'll just look around at case fans in a bit. I think i've got everything pretty much covered then. I dunno if I think of anything else i'm adding to the list i'll put it up.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Sure if you want to put up a pic when you get a chance I'd like to see your custom mod.
It's nothing flash lol, just four silver knobs on a piece of black plastic but I'll post up some pics anyway, I'll show the 5.25" bays with the Scythe Kama Cooler in there too.

EDIT: A couple of my ghetto mods here, I was very surprised how well the fly screen mesh (plastic) works as a filter, add to that the fact it is cheap and easy to clean and it's a winner.

Pics 1&2: Kama bay cooler and ghetto fan controller (I replaced the Scythe fan with a TT Smartfan II, more efficient but in hindsight I think the black fan vanes of the Scythe were more aesthetically pleasing)
Pic 3: Ghetto fan controller (inside the door)
Pics 4&5: My fly screen mesh ghetto mod

E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 AM   #15
Fully Optimized

That looks pretty good for a ghetto setup! Just curious did you always have the Scythe Kama Cooler cooler in the 5.25 slot? If not did you notice any temp drops when you put it in?

I almost bought one of those myself. Maybe i'll have to pick on up for the next case if you think its worth it. Sucks buying the setup then replacing the fan it comes with lol.

What case are you using that looks like a full tower there?

You can see what i'm working with here. My case is way to small and doesn't give me the options that a roomy case would. Picks of the board installed are like 2nd or 3rd post down.

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=57597
Old 10-25-2007, 03:06 AM   #16
Daemon Poster

Get the money from them for x-mas, then go buy everything yourself.
Nvidia 7600 GS 256 MB PCI-E 16x
jo5h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:39 AM   #17
Fully Optimized

Quote:
That looks pretty good for a ghetto setup! Just curious did you always have the Scythe Kama Cooler cooler in the 5.25 slot? If not did you notice any temp drops when you put it in?
It was an after assembly mod, and yes temp drops noted but in conjunction with the 80mm ram cooling fan, it seemed to respond the most and dropped temps by 2~3C

Quote:
I almost bought one of those myself. Maybe i'll have to pick on up for the next case if you think its worth it. Sucks buying the setup then replacing the fan it comes with lol.
To be honest it made fark all difference, in fact if I wind the rpm up too high it actually had an adverse effect, the only reason it works for me now imo is the 80mm fan directing a down draft over the ram fed buy the 120mm intake.

Quote:
What case are you using that looks like a full tower there?
Thermaltake Sonata

Quote:
You can see what i'm working with here. My case is way to small and doesn't give me the options that a roomy case would. Picks of the board installed are like 2nd or 3rd post down.

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=57597
looking, looked, seen, we're on the same wavelength I reckon, just seems you have more patience than me

top guide too btw
Old 10-25-2007, 06:30 AM   #18
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post
It was an after assembly mod, and yes temp drops noted but in conjunction with the 80mm ram cooling fan, it seemed to respond the most and dropped temps by 2~3C
Thats interesting I may have to look into it after I order the new setup. Always fun trying to get the best airflow possible!

Quote:
To be honest it made fark all difference, in fact if I wind the rpm up too high it actually had an adverse effect, the only reason it works for me now imo is the 80mm fan directing a down draft over the ram fed buy the 120mm intake.
Thats the only thing i'm worried about is causing a problem somewhere and actually gain temps.

Quote:
Thermaltake Sonata
Looks like a nice case.

Quote:
looking, looked, seen, we're on the same wavelength I reckon, just seems you have more patience than me

top guide too btw
Ya it would seem so lol btw thanks

So I got my wish list together if you want to take a look. The six Thermaltake fans will be for case and under the gpu. The 2 Scythe fans are for the IFX-14. Added the Zalman fan controller i'm hoping the fans come with enough cable.

Chipset coolers are out of stock and they don't carry the IFX-14 so i'll order that seperate through Frozen CPU and I think i'll order the Q6600 through another site that way I know i'm getting G0 Stepping.

Was looking at some of the 1600FSB support motherboards but have not read 2 much on them. I may have to take a closer look though. Otherwise i'll pick up the proven 680I. Sucks I gotta buy another 680I I bout the NF63TR and it doesn't overclock quads well but o well I guess. Another spare board lol.

Wish List