Time for some upgrades need opinions

With Xmas slowly closing in my family is asking me what I want for Xmas. Rather then buy all the upgrades myself I think i'm going to have them buy some of them for me for Xmas.

Basically I just need some opinions on a few different items.

First off I want to get a new full tower case. First build I went for looks and really didn't look at space issue's. Since I know quite a bit more then before I've narrowed it down to 2 cases.

Cooler Master Stacker 830 KKN2-GP

Cooler Master Cosmos

I'm leaning towards the Stacker just because its proven. I know the Cosmos was Maximum PC's case choice of the year but it seems the stacker should perform better air cooling wise. If I go with the stacker I plain on picking up the following.

Cooler Master Cross Flow Fan

As for the Heat sink fan i'm a bit torn between reviews. Not sure if I want to gamble or not on this. I was thinking of the following 2.

Thermalright IFX-14

Evercool Ultra X

This leads me to a question. I've got that 630watt PSU currently do you think that will have enough power to power most likely 2 HSF fans if I get the IFX-14 plus 6, 120mm case fans and 2 80mm chipset fans + whats in my sig?

Next up chipset cooling I was looking at the following.

For the northbridge the Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX

And for the southbridge the Evercool EC-VC

If you think theres something better out there for the 680I chipset hook me up with some links.

Those are the main upgrades I'll have them get for me. I plain on picking up a A1 Revision 680I and Q6600 myself after I get that stuff and just swapping my G.Skill into that build then convert my current build into a media center.

Any cooling or case changes you think would be better?

get liquid cooling, get a big pump so you can add blocks too. the LGA775 is here to stay, with new motherboards boasting the 1600mhz bus, youll be able to use your WCing for years to come IMO. its much more efficent than air cooling obvioulsy and youll be able to push your hardware pretty hard. youll just need a new case to fit the stuff.

I doubt liquid cooling will really be worth it. If you get new chipset heatsinks and such, you'll still be able to OC pretty far.

I'd stick with the Stacker of those too, but if you're spending that much on a case, get a Lian-Li. Superior in every way. This is exactly what you need:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112105

A 630 watt PSU is more than enough for the system. The minimum for an 8800GTS is only 400 if my memory serves me correct. To be safe though, what's the exact PSU model?

For the HSF, get the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Best HSF on the market right now. Note that you'll need a 120mm fan in addition, something with 100+ CFM would be awesome. This Silverstone one comes with a fan controller, which you'll want.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220014

get liquid cooling, get a big pump so you can add blocks too. the LGA775 is here to stay, with new motherboards boasting the 1600mhz bus, youll be able to use your WCing for years to come IMO. its much more efficent than air cooling obvioulsy and youll be able to push your hardware pretty hard. youll just need a new case to fit the stuff.

I've thought about liquid cooling but I really don't want to mess with it for the little bit extra i'd get over high end air cooling.

I doubt liquid cooling will really be worth it. If you get new chipset heatsinks and such, you'll still be able to OC pretty far.

I'd stick with the Stacker of those too, but if you're spending that much on a case, get a Lian-Li. Superior in every way. This is exactly what you need:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112105

A 630 watt PSU is more than enough for the system. The minimum for an 8800GTS is only 400 if my memory serves me correct. To be safe though, what's the exact PSU model?

For the HSF, get the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Best HSF on the market right now. Note that you'll need a 120mm fan in addition, something with 100+ CFM would be awesome. This Silverstone one comes with a fan controller, which you'll want.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220014

So those chipset coolers look good then? I checked out that Lian-Li but I still prefer the Stacker.

As for the heatsinkfan everyone has either a Ultra 120, Tuniq or 9700. I want something different. And the reviews i've seen on the quad cores both the coolers I linked are beating the 120 Extreme Source

Thanks for the input guys everything should fit up alright with what i've selected right? I'm just curious though with the IFX-14 comes with a heat sink that goes on the backside of the motherboard as well then comes out the top of the motherboard. Do you think i'll have space in the stacker for that to stick out? Found a good link to a review but he's got like a open case so its hard to judge if it will fit or not.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=126195

I like the look of the IFX-14 mate, read a review here that is very interesting. You may need more than two HSF's

PSU calculator

LOL look above ya thats the same link I left for freestyler to take a look at ;)

The only thing thats going to suck is if I buy that HSF by looking at those picks i'm going to loose the ability to use my Cosair Memory Fans.

Also you think that backplate is going to fit in the stacker case? It looks like the motherboards mount at the top on the stackers I can't tell if there's going to be space for that backplate that sticks out of the top of the case.

I just read your pm too, same link tff.

The cooler is able to be rotated 90° to allow your ram fans but unless you have a blow hole in the top of the case that is kind of useless I guess.

Checking out the case now, will post back.

EDIT: From the side view pic on the egg it looks like there is plenty of room (maybe 3-4 inches) from the top of the board try to the ceiling of the case, bloody hard to tell for sure tbh

Heres a good pic of the case with the fans in the same setup I want to do fan wise. 4, 120mms on the side the 2 on the bottom of the case. I wonder do you think it would be better to cut some of the bottom of the case out put a grill in for the bottom fans that way they suck in more air? Funny stuff I actually got the idea from that thread you put up with the octa quad goodness lol.

Also the thing is if I rotate it 90 degress would that interfere with the HR-05IFX/SLI Northbridge cooler? Its hard to compare because thats a totally different board setup though.

Here was a pic of that pc for example.

big_skulltrail_8.jpg

looking at that pic it appears you have the depth of the psu bay clear for the backplate cooler. If it was me,

1/. $A69.00 for the cooler, if the backplate cooler doesn't fit who cares (according to the abit review it does very little anyway) and toss it out. (well put it aside anyway :D)

2/. If the IFX-14 interferes with the ram coolers then it's only $A69.00 wasted, right

My budget may differ from yours, < $A100 is chicken feed lol.

EDIT: I assumed the case already had holes in the base for fans?? If not then definitely cut some in, hell I'm going to cut all the metal grills out of my case to improve airflow.

Back
Top Bottom