Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Fully Optimized
 
tom-knox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,451
Send a message via MSN to tom-knox
Arrow Time for a new PC

I am in the market for a budget laptop with some gaming potential. THIS is what im looking at and i was wondering how it would run.

Guild wars
WoW
CS:S
New releases

Hit me back soon please
Tom
__________________

__________________
New laptop:
2.1 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor :: nVidia GT150m :: 15.6" HD LCD :: 4gb RAM :: 320gb HDD

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Time for a new PC

In my opinion the LAN card is too slow, processor could be better, and I'm not sure about the graphics card. What is that in? Pounds or Euros? I can never tell them apart lol. That could probably run Guild Wars and CS:S fine. I'm not sure about WoW, and I think you need to do better for new releases such as COD4 or Crysis. Crysis a lot better lol.
__________________

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Time for a new PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
In my opinion the LAN card is too slow, processor could be better, and I'm not sure about the graphics card. What is that in? Pounds or Euros? I can never tell them apart lol. That could probably run Guild Wars and CS:S fine. I'm not sure about WoW, and I think you need to do better for new releases such as COD4 or Crysis. Crysis a lot better lol.
First off why is the "LAN Card" too slow? I assume you are infact talking about the wireless LAN card, which infact uses the fastest 802.11 standard out their. It's far faster than the average internet connection, and would suit just about anyone.

Second, it's in pounds. Notice the british pound sign, not a euro sign, not a dollar sign.

As for the laptop, its a bit weak to handle modern games. Could get away with CS:S on it however. Pretty nice price for what you are getting, but need a bit more power to play games.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Time for a new PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
First off why is the "LAN Card" too slow? I assume you are infact talking about the wireless LAN card, which infact uses the fastest 802.11 standard out their. It's far faster than the average internet connection, and would suit just about anyone.

Second, it's in pounds. Notice the british pound sign, not a euro sign, not a dollar sign.

As for the laptop, its a bit weak to handle modern games. Could get away with CS:S on it however. Pretty nice price for what you are getting, but need a bit more power to play games.
Listen up dude, I don't know if you paid attention or not, but it only goes up to 54mbps. That's pretty slow. Secondly, I don't live in England therefore I have no obligation in knowing what their currency sign looks like. I always get them mixed up and I wanted some clarification about it. You didn't have to be rude about it.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Time for a new PC

He only wants to play MMOs and CS:S, he didn't say anything about Crysis. I think that GPU will be fine for his needs.
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Time for a new PC

Well he said modern games. Modern games = crysis, cod4, etc...
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Time for a new PC

Sorry, didn't notice the new releases bit. What's your budget exactly?
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 41
Default Re: Time for a new PC

for games i'd only get intel core 2 duo just because it runs well, use less battery, and it doesn't get hot like the amd x2. i would be expecting more than $1000 laptop for a good gaming one.
ck_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
Bobert93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,449
Default Re: Time for a new PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Listen up dude, I don't know if you paid attention or not, but it only goes up to 54mbps. That's pretty slow. Secondly, I don't live in England therefore I have no obligation in knowing what their currency sign looks like. I always get them mixed up and I wanted some clarification about it. You didn't have to be rude about it.
how is 54mbps slow?
__________________
(ASUS P5E X38)__(Q6600@3.4Ghz)__(Innod3D 8800GTS 512Mb 800/1920)__(4Gb corsair XMS2 800Mhz)__(Antec 900)__(Vista 64Bit)_(Zalman 9700)
{3DMark06 15211}
Bobert93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:20 AM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
Jesusfrk611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: US
Posts: 2,193
Default Re: Time for a new PC

I personally wouldn't buy a laptop for just games. A guy at work spent a bunch of money on a laptop for gaming to figure out it only had an 8400 in it, pretty weak gfx. Plus they are pretty much non upgradeable except for the HDD and RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Listen up dude, I don't know if you paid attention or not, but it only goes up to 54mbps. That's pretty slow.
Most modern high speed internet connections are 1-2mbps. 54mbps is just kinda more than that so you won't see any lag if playing online games... 54mbps is for the wireless and that is the standard for wireless. Want 100mbps? Just hook it up with an RJ-45 cable...
__________________

Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0